Should I Stay or Should I go now?

Options
My mortgage lender (Egg) was excellent, but seems to have gotten a bit lethargic following takeover from Citigroup.
A quick check of the website and I found they have withdrawn all of their EGG mortgage products.
Following the recent 1.5% rate cut i thought I would wait and see what they decided to do.

I now have a letter giving me a massive 0.5% cut on my SVR.
I am starting to think they don't want me as a customer any more.
Simple question? :eek: Should I Stay, or should i go now?

Richard

Comments

• herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    What is the actual interest rate that you would now be paying?

Then compare against what else is on the market - taking into account fixed rates appear to be coming down, and trackers are coming back out with some lenders.

However watch out for the tighter LTV bandings to get the better rates, along with collars on some of the newer trackers - which may mean your current deal could still be better for you; especially if you have a low mortgage amount
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • herbiesjp
    Options
    Spam reported
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • ricochet777
    Options
    They Just advised a drop of 0.5% to 5.49% for me.
  • herbiesjp
    Options
    Well you can find cheaper rates than that - with varying fees.

It all depends on whether you want a tracker or fixed rate ( or something else)

As stated before it will also depend on the LTV band you fall into - so what is the property price and what is the mortgage amount?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
  • ricochet777
    Options
    I paid £220k for the Property in May 2006, so I guess in the current turmoil it's worth a little less.
    Fortunately I only had a £130k repayment mortgage, and tat is now down to £124998 owing.
  • herbiesjp
    Options
    At that level you should have the pick of the deals - even if your property was now worth £200k
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    Is this 0.5% cut in relation to the first BofE cut, or the more recent 1.5% cut?

Might be worth waiting until their response to the more recent cut is known.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure