PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Now & Then: 2005/6

Options
2005 vs 2006 (Old Style)

New Years Eve - a time for reflection and a time for resolutions; thought it might be timely to have a "Now & Then" thread.

During the course of 2005 we have had quite a number of 'newbies' to Old Style and I thought it would be interesting to reflect on how we used to do things, prior to MSE/Old Style and which tips/advice we have (or intend) to incorporate into our daily lives.

This isn't intended as a discussion thread .....
but one where we can get together and list our changes and hopefully, newbies to Old Style during 2006 will also read and be inspired.
Please include a link to the original tip/advice/post/thread if relevant and/or possible.

Some of the changes Old Stylers have implemented can be found on the following threads (and will give you an idea of theme of this thread):-
May
Some of our Old Stylers have had enormously "challenging" times this year and have had to face difficulties of varying degrees. Many changes can (and do!) occur in a 365 day period, within both our lives and lifestyles. At this time of year, it can be cathartic to reflect on just how much we have achieved despite any setbacks in health/wealth/general circumstances.
Out with the old; in with the new!
:think: Although, in our OS community ... that saying is possibly more a case of: Out with new and back in with the old ;) LOL

Wishing you all a peaceful, contented and wellthy 2006
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comments

• frizz_head
    frizz_head Posts: 7,339 Forumite
    Options
    Bless ya heart Queenie - I hope you too have a fantastic 2006 - you have been a massive source of insipiration to me this past year, and also such a huge help when things were not so great for me.

Thank you so much for everything!
    Frizz :D
    Only 5% of those who can give blood, actually do!
    Do Something Amazing Today.
    Save a Life - Give Blood.:A
    20 pints donated! :j:j
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Then: Spent at least £80 per week on supermarket food etc
    Now: Food bill is usually under £60 per week, and often as low as £40

(Bearing in mind that my location means that many benefits of living more centrally are not available to me - like farmers markets etc)

Then: Would maybe three or four times a month decide that I couldn't be bothered to cook and go for a takeaway - which would mean either a 12 mile round trip (for Indian) or a 32 mile round trip (for anything else) in the car as well as the cost of the food (which was on top of the £80 per week)
    Now: Meal planning means that I know what I am doing and that I have the correct ingredients, and cooking is quicker and cheaper than nipping for a takeaway - takeaways are now planned and bought only when in the area anyway (so no additional mileage) - and are MUCH rarer - maybe once every three months

Then: Cleaning involved expensive and toxic products such as flash sprays and bleach
    Now: Cleaning is done using vinegar, bicarb, essential oils (for scent and anti-bac properties) and is environmentally unharmful and cheap!

Then: Kids were often fed complete rubbish (when OH was cooking) - oven chips and frozen garbage - no turkey twizzlers though..
    Now: Kids (and us) have a much improved diet - we still use things like fish fingers, but have had one bag of oven chips in the last 6 months.

We have also reduced the amount of rubbish than comes out of the house substantially

There have been times that it hasn't been followed as strictly as it should have been - December particularly has been a very busy month - but it is quickly obvious that the costs are increasing and that alone is a great impetus to get started back on meal planning - which I have done this week with real enthusiasm.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Then pre 2005: Had a wardrobe of clothes I had "outgrown" but kept for when I shrank back into them.

Now 2005/6: OS menu planning/shopping/cooking meant, without even trying, I shrank back into those clothes .. but also had the courage to "recycle" them (Charity Shops; saved buttons/zips; serviceable cloth goes into rag bag for quilting/crafts/rug making).
    Streamlining the wardrobe = less washing/iron/dust gathering + a generous amount of 'creative mix and matching ;) = developing my own personal style rather than trying to live up to commercial "fashion")

Then pre 2005 - bought marg and butter
    Now: Happy to make butter for fun plus the bonus of eating it (especially when I can get cream on the reduced counter ;) ) No more margarine either!

Then 2005 - Never had a problem with haggling, even managed to tempt my DH to dip his foot into the Haggle Pool earlier this year, successfully.
    Now 2006 - have grown in confidence and will continue to haggle.

Then pre-2005 - Thought I was a fairly reasonable Old Styler (but that didn't necessarily make me a fairly reasonable Money SAVER)
    Now 2005/6 - I'm making headway in tackling other money saving areas: ie: DIY Forum - (I haven't the confidence to attempt many of the tips/ideas/tasks - but, in the past month I have sealed up some gabs plus will be using those and other tips to improve my home in the coming year.

Then pre-2005 Stuck with annual renewals on policies etc., simply through loyalty and a dollop of ignorance.
    Now 2005/6 - Research before committing to any renewals or change companies. Got cheaper car insurance (thank you Martin for article; Frizz for extra advice); reduced mortage for next 2yrs; cheaper Household insurance.

Then: Sort of lost my way a bit mid-end year
    Now: Ready to meet 2006, older, wiser and with more determination than ever (true old fashioned grit LOL ) to continue to empower myself in new (MSE) ways.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I joined this site about six months ago and I would like to say a big thankyou to every one,by reading money saving old style every day you all have given me the motivation to cut my food bill from well over £100 down to £50,I have tried a lot of your recipes which my family have loved,I have faced upto the debt we are in and I am taking control and paying it off slowly,I feel if I didnt have this site to come to everyday I would of given up.SO THANKYOU EVERY ONE AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR>
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    now - have a load of stuff i don't wear even after a big clearout
    then - going to ebay it

2005 - struggling to set up a business stressed mum tired kids unsatisfactory childcare
    2006 - working part time still self employed - happy kids, more 'slow' cooking not necessarily in the slow cooker!

2005 - getting meat from cheapish butchers and not really thinking about where its from
    2006 - have read Hugh f-w's book and will ask the butcher, buy more lamb, corn fed hens and try to get some free range/organic stuff, also try oxtail, pig's head etc.

2005 - went to town on the bus
    2006 - bus fare gone up so will walk there and pay myself the £1.10 it would have cost

2005 - always saving vouchers from mailshots/magazines
    2006 - will actually use them

2005 - did a monthly budget check which fizzled out in december
    2006- will get back on track and look at ways to save again in my old organised way

2005- made pickled beetroot, chutney and the like but only a few jars of each
    2006 - will make more, lots more!

2005 - had leftovers in the freezer but usually unplanned
    2006 - will make extra food to freeze on purpose

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE :beer:
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • nabowla
    nabowla Posts: 567 Forumite
    Options
    Then: no idea how much I used to spend on groceries as I didn't have a set grocery budget.
    Now: have a set weekly budget of £20 for groceries. I manage to stick to this most of the time

Then: bought lots of fresh fruit because "it's good for me" and lots of BOGOF because "it's on offer" but ended up throwing out lots of stuff that I couldn't use up in time.
    Now: plan my shopping much more carefully so that I don't normally buy more fresh stuff than I can use up before it goes off. If I'm struggling to use up leftovers I post on OS with a request for recipe/storage ideas.

Then: only bought brand-name household cleaners, laundry supplies etc
    Now: generally buy supermarket own-brand cleaners (still can't give up lemon Flash, though!)

Then: took all handwashing to dry cleaner because I wasn't very good at handwashing delicate clothes.
    Now: invested in OS soap flakes, read up on OS handwashing techniques and handwash all my delicates at home. Was particularly pleased with a jumper I handwashed earlier in the week - finally figured out how to squeeze excess water out without wringing and managed to keep the shape whilst drying!

Then: took all repairs (except buttons) to dry cleaner because I couldn't sew properly. Threw out old fabric and buttons if clothes/sheets not fit to give to charity shop.
    Now: just got an electric sewing machine and am learning how to repair hems etc. Cutting up and sewing old sheets etc into dusters, storage bags etc. Cutting buttons off fabric to be re-used at a future date. Also going to have a go at making luxury cushions from bolt-end bargain picked up in Laura Ashley. Might even be making own clothes by end of 2006!
  • Icemaiden
    Options
    Then: Took washing to the launderette and paid for service wash & dry even though I did have a washer and dryer.
    Now: Can't believe I actually admitted that!

Then: Would drive every where and I mean everywhere(100yards down road)
    Now: Don't have a car for daily use so I walk.

Then: Had at least 2 takeaways per week
    Now: Takeaways, whats that??

Then: Did food shopping in Marks & Spencers. All pre made stuff.
    Now: Cook from scratch and don't even have to think about it.

Then: Designer clothes, designer prices.
    Now: Designer clothes but from Secondhand shops.

Then: NY Eve, trip to New York times square at at cost of £4000.00
    Now: Stay at home surroundered by our friends and the people we really love.

Then: Megga Debts
    Now: 8 years later, Sleep like babies at night.

Then: The list could go on & on!!
    Now: Iam still learning with every new day, thank you all.
    Rebel No 22
  • johanne
    johanne Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have only been a member since about june... but

Then (pre OS): Finish work and go back into the store shopping spending between £5-10 A DAY on stuff for my lunch - pre packed sandwiches or pasta salads..a tiny bottle of juice for 65p..and usually a bottle of coke or something incase i changed my mind.. packs of mini jaffa cakes or other "mini" biscuits usually the expensive ones designed for kids lunch boxes.. and also knew id spend at least 35p on each of my breaks in the vending machine on chocolate.

Now: When i lived at my mums id take my own salad or sandwiches - refill empty water bottles with tap water or squash.. and buy huge multipack packs of kit-kats on BOGOF or check out the reduced section for biscuits where it worked out no more than 10p a unit. When i got my OWN house literally backing onto work.. even though it was midnight when id have my lunch.. id come home for the hour as it took 3 mins exactly to get from the clocking out machine to my front door. Id come in and defrost some reduced crumpets (from the freezer) slather with my mums homemade jam and make a cuppa tea and enjoy the piece for an hour or so.. maybe even tidying up or putting something in the slow cooker ready to put in when i got in at 7am so be ready for my tea when i woke up!

Then: Use chemical cleaners if i reallly needed to clean (living with my mum)

Now: Try and use vinegar bicarb etc wherever possible! Found the chemical products make me cough and irritate my eyes etc now when i do use them

Then: would get embarrassed going shopping with Nicki as she used to look at the reduced section.. id just walk off and pretend i wasnt with her as i thought it made us look "cheap" and "desperate" I wouldnt even stand next to the section incase someone thought i was looking in it!" :o

Now: Sometimes go yellow label shopping instead of food shopping! :rotfl: Like the other week i went into Sainsburys local in the city centre after a night in the pub... told my friend i needed a few bits like bread etc... but really i just wanted to see what i could get reduced! For example got a Warbutons loaf to freeze for 29p!!!! 91p in tesco last time i looked! And only 4p more than tesco value bread which is icky! 99% of the stuff in my fridge in reduced stuff and i'll only buy reduced meat or that on an amazing BOGOF deal and then i freeze it! I also use coupons! Whereas before i would have died first before handing over a coupon!!! I do still get embarrassed sometimes especially if its a person around my own age serving me... but cos i dress really casual/studenty and carry a big cross body bag i usually just go "cant you tell im a poor student?" and smile! I know its lying but it averts the funny looks usually and i dont feel such a leper! :o:o
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    Hello

So many things for me over the past 12-18 months, so will probably keep coming back and editing..LOL

Groceries/Food Etc
    Then-Exclusive M&S/Waitrose food snob, spending about £100+ a week for 2 adults and 1 child. Also was having 2-3 take aways a week because of laziness!! Rough spend each month of £750
    Now-Meal Plan, eat better, hardly any food waste. Rough monthly spend is about £150 and includes all food, cleaning products and branded "must haves!" of Nescafe, Tetley T-bags, Decent washing powder, Lenor, nice loo rolls and kitchen roll. Cook 95% from fresh and freeze/use up left overs.

Electric/Gas/Insurances/Phones/Mobiles
    Then-Pay gas/electric by quarter statements and just paid. Insurances just got renewed with current supplier. Phone-just used BT. Mobile-both on high monthly contracts £100+ pm on rental and mobile calls.
    Now-Switched to cheaper company and pay by DD. Take regular meter readings and update monthly to make sure im paying enough. Insurances-shop around annually and get much better deals-save £50pm. Homephone-use BT for line rental and Talktalk for eveything else-save £40pm. Mobile contracts cancelled and now use PAYG spending £5 each a month, so saving £90pm.

Cleaning
    Then-Used expensive cleaning products.
    Now-Use mainly vinegar and cheap bleach.

Clothes
    Then-Would think nothing of spending £250 on a handbag or pair of shoes. Used to bin clothes if button missing.
    Now-Only buy what we need. Sell everything on ebay and this goes to a seperate account which is linked to paypal and use this money only for bits we need-clothing, bits around the house, shoes etc etc-so in effect we spend nothing on clothes etc. Buy from Bootsales when up to it, but buy only designer clothes and big items like coats etc as these are sooo much money new and most at bootsales have never been worn. Now mend clothes.

Debt & Loans
    Then-Used CC for everything. Paid above average on my loans.
    Now-All debt on 0% CC and will be moved to a low % LOB CC in Feb 06 or another 0%. Loans are now paid and come April/May 06 we will be totally debt free.

Subscriptions
    Then-Spending £50 pm on magazines
    Now-Cancelled all subscriptions and now look online or wait to be given them by friends.

Washing/Drying
    Then-Use to bung everything in wash even if not dirty or load only half full. TD everything.
    Now-Wash only whats needed, make family wear items more than once if not dirty and jeans maybe 3-4 times. Clothes either dried on line, or on new airer but still use TD for emergencies.

Many more but cant think ATM

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • kiwichick
    kiwichick Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not too much to post I'm afraid as I am still a "Work In Progress".

Biggie has been to set a budget for food etc and have cut down spending here by 33% since sept :j Aim to get lower as £75pw for 5 is still a stupidly high amount.

BIG CHANGE FOR 2006 is that I have just given to the bank a form changing ALL DD payments to my acc. DH's salary will also be paid into my acc :p Thus I will have COMPLETE control of ALL spending and will give DH an allowance :p thus making him appreciate the value of money.

Have recieved a 0% CC and will be transferring debts to that when this months statement comes in.

Aim to save surplus toward paying a lump sum off our mortgage as I have now recognised this as DEBT rather than a thing in the background. Our current mortgage isover 30 years and NEED to cut this down.
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills