help urgently needed

Options
HI

My brother urgently needs some advice
- he has recieved a letter to attend court on the 4th Dec for the mortgage company to obtain a possession order. He has been in contact with the mortgage company and they have said that if he pays £3000 by the 4th they will stop the court and make further arrangements . He will not be able to make this payment. Is there anything he can do - he has around £5000 of arrears - he split for his partner and has a son who stays with him all weekend every weekend - any advice is is better than none

Comments

• poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tell him to get a lawyer
    poppy10
  • bunny999
    bunny999 Posts: 970 Forumite
    Options
    Is he working ? Can he pay anything ? He needs to try and make a deal.
    How much equity has he got ? He might be better trying to sell the house himself.
    If he can't offer them something they will repossess the house and they will probably accept any offer they get and sell it for a low price.
  • sleepless_saver
    Options
    spammer wwpew reported
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,073 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Really difficult to advise without knowing the whole situation. Is the mortgage a joint one with his ex- partner? If so, she would be jointly liable.

£5,000 arrears is a hell of a lot of money. Whether it is a large mortgage or a build up of arrears, it may be time to call it a day. Is there equity in the property? Does your brother have any assets?

It may be time to accept he is losing the property and find an affordable rental.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure