We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

equity release

Options
I am 58 year old widow of 2 years.
I have a house worth about £230,000 with a £50,000 morgage.
Ialso have a £17.5000 loan.
I was interested in equity release to release some funds.
is this a good idea?
Which company gives the best deal?
Thank you

Comments

• koexelek
    koexelek Posts: 7,847 Forumite
    Options
    If you can afford to keep making the payments on the mortgage and the loan , I would do so, as you will eventually clear them.

The potential advantage of an equity release is that you don't have to make payments any more, but the interest will roll up and up, and your equity will be eroded.
    If you have no dependents, you might not be bothered about that, but they might.
    Equity Release is not something that should be undertaken lightly
    I am a Mortgage adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Mips
    Mips Posts: 19,796 Forumite
    Options
    when you release money via equity release, you have to be able to pay off the mortgage and any secured loans.

At your age you can only release approx 26% ( off the top of my head)
    :cool:
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    ellens wrote: »
    I am 58 year old widow of 2 years.
    I have a house worth about £230,000 with a £50,000 morgage.
    Ialso have a £17.5000 loan.
    I was interested in equity release to release some funds.
    is this a good idea?
    Which company gives the best deal?
    Thank you

You would need to use the equity release to consolidate your existing mortgage and loan, anything on top of that you could take either as income (cheaper, as the interest does not roll up so quickly) or as a lump sum.

Check out the issues and providers here;

www.ship-ltd.org

Different providers will offer different amounts and have different approaches to age (there are no regulations on this).Valuation of your property may be an issue in a falling market.

Check for penalties if you want to move later to a better deal with another provider, certainly a possibility at your age. Over the past few years we have seen interest rates fall on these loans as more competition moved into the market.
    If you have no dependents, you might not be bothered about that, but they might.

There may be a conflict of interest in some cases.Your solicitor will advice you of what's in your own best interest.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport