PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

It is tough NOW. So how are we coping

Options

Comments

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hmmm....though it could be an idea for anyone under, say, the age of 30 who has been on the dole for more than 6 months to be assigned to a type of voluntary work that the Council would supervise and that wouldnt involve dealing with people basically (other than others in the same position as themselves) - and that is sent out in groups to clear up rubbish. In a country like Britain litter is unfortunately something that is never hard to find - darn it!

I'm thinking in terms of a younger age group in order to inculcate a "work ethic" and it is true that older people tend to be iller/more tired - so I think that would be too pressurised for many of them. I would say perhaps 20 hours per week of litter-picking might be realistic - bearing in mind that shopping/food preparation/etc takes longer the less money one has - all that shopping round/"creative cookery"/etc so people on the dole need more spare time in order to be able to do that.
  • Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm still keen to keep a positive image for voluntary work. For those who willingly give their time, their reward should not be to have to work with youngsters who grudge having to get up in the morning, much less justify their existence.

The type of scheme you suggest would be forced labour, not allowed under EU laws. Why can't we have a job creation scheme to do the kind of work that no one wants to do at the moment, for the going minimum wage? Litter picking, graffitti removal, fruit picking, simple painting jobs, mowing lawns, anything really. There is a scheme like that for ex offenders. Not sure if it's paid, or voluntary + benefits.

If the young person had to do the job if physically capable or go without benefits, most would be anxious to stay on in education or training to avoid having to do 'menial' tasks. Last year in this county alone thousands of tons of fruit went to waste because there were no foreign pickers coming over to pick it. This is the main county for soft fruit in the UK and at one point there were no strawberries in Mr T's. In years gone by there was plenty of labour - it was work or starve. People's annual 'holiday' in this area was hop picking, and the highlight of their year.
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well...that could be an idea - subject to no normal paid workers being displaced obviously (here speaketh a 1970s trade unionist!).

I see your point re volunteers supervising this sort of thing - hence why I suggested Council workers. I know volunteers vary and many wouldnt want to do the supervising. I do know a couple of people who work/have worked with some very recalcitrant teenagers and seem to achieve results - whilst obviously enjoying themselves doing so - but am aware that there cant be that many people like that around.

We have offenders in my area doing things like graffiti removal/picking up litter/etc - errr....does tend to be true from what I can see that work comes to somewhat of a halt when there isnt a "supervisor" present....but I can see some beneficial results for the community from this. The Council must have summat to do with this I presume - as I know they've arranged for offenders to remove some graffiti I complained about.
  • mummysaver
    mummysaver Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    Charis, lots of good points, another reason why we OS-ers would do a fab job if we were in charge lol!

I did envisage some kind of scheme like the community service one, not suggesting for one minute that a bunch of grumpy teenagers who want to be somewhere else should be left in charge of children or anyone else, though I do know that many teenagers can be truley lovely and helpful (I try to remind myself of this when mine are being irritating!)

I do voluntary work, and have done for many years, mine has generally been people and family focussed, working in womens refuges, working with families who need support, soup kitchens, hostels, etc. I have had a LOT of training and support, and also a lot of fulfullment and enjoyment. It is also great for making you realise just how luck you are, even if you only have the basics in life. I have also had lots of fun doing it, sometimes the only thing that keeps people going is a sense of humour!

Caterina - I keep on about MSE and economising and stretching resources and I can feel people internally rolling their eyes at me lol! But not only has a lady I work with started to freeze and reuse leftovers instead of binning them, last night I got asked for details of how to stretch mince into several meals, the lady was last seen heading homewards with a pack of mince, a bag of lentils and one of oats lol! Oh, and my friend told me yesterday that she has just bought a remoska, after me going on about how wonderful they are! Even more money saving she got it reduced to half price as it had a dent, full marks to Lakeland though, she was at the till with a full priced one and the lady told her that she'd just reduced one and did she want to swap! Slowly I'm getting through to people I think, one convert at a time!
    GC Oct £387.69/£400, GC Nov £312.58/£400, GC Dec £111.87/£400
  • mummysaver
    Options
    Morning peeps!

Quick update on my mince stretching friend, she says it was like the ever full porridge pot, no matter what she did there seemed to be more lol! Luckily she had lots of containers and space in her freezer, she says she had enough for the next month now!

Popped in to say that I bought some lightbulbs in Mr T's, back on the 5 for 40p offer. How bizarre is it that I needed one lightbulb equiv to 100w for the kitchen, it was £2.50, so cheaper to buy 5! Even cheaper as my reciept shows that VAT was deducted for all 5 bulbs at the full price of £12.50, so I actually paid 13 pence for my bulbs! Now why aren't there offers like that on tomatoes or flour lol!

Edit: these are the energy saving bulbs!
  • tiddly_widdly
    Options
    IceMaiden- I use eco balls by ecozone instead of washing powder. They are not a cheap initial outlay. I paid 34.00 BUT they do about 1000 washes. It works out about 3p per load. Ive had mine for at least 2 years now. They are fantastic and Ive got 3 kids - including 1 very mucky sportsperson. The only thing I do every now and again is add a bit of vanish into a white load. My kids and hubby has excema and the eco balls work by oxygenising the water. Give them a try.

Everyone else - Just an update for you all. My husband is being made redundant as you know. He had his meeting with the bosses on Monday. They thought he had a standard contract and were only giving him 3 weeks redundancy but just before he went into his meeting I was reading his contract and they have to give him 3 MONTHS notice which they hadnt realised. He has also decided that he wants to be self employed!! Great decision in a recesion but I agree with him the time is right for him to do it. His bosses also have work for him self employed just not enough to keep him fully employed. They have offered him the use of the office etc as it will be sitting empty. and they have also said that during his notice period he can also work at marketing his own business and are giving him some of their contacts as well as the ones he knows.

I dont imagine we are in for a smooth ride (im self employed) but he is very happy about the decision which suits me. He may look for something part time while he builds his business to help pay the mortgage.

Thank you for all your kind thoughts.
    :T £2.00 coin saver number 059

Sealed pot challenge number 519:j
  • tiddly_widdly
    Options
    By the way

What is Mr T's?

• katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    By the way

What is Mr T's?

I think Mr T means Tesco

Mr S means Sainsburys

Mr A means Asda ...etc
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • mummysaver
    Options
    Tiddly widdly - always pays to read the small print, great news though about the 3 months, and sounds like his bosses are being helpful at the mo, they obviously don't want to lose him totally. Guess now is as good a time as any to go self employed, at the mo he has nothing to lose by using all the resources he's been offered and the time. I hope that it all works out for you both, let's face it, if he can make a business work now, then when things pick up you'll be millionaires!

Sorry about using the abbreviations! Mr T is indeed Tesco!

Sarah Happytails - where are you? How is bump doing? xx
  • tiddly_widdly
    Options
    Tesco's!!! I thought you had some secret supermarket I coldnt access!! lol

His bosses are being great. so fingers crossed

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories