What to do if I quit my job?

Options
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, sorry if it isn’t and I will move it. I am just looking for some advice, as I am currently unhappy at my current job in a large organisation and want to leave, however I do not know what to do, if I do leave. I am only sticking at the current job so far to keep money coming in for bills and debt.

A little bit about me I am a multimedia computing graduate, have good IT skills and enjoy sport. I have tried looking for another job, but can not find anything that is what I want to do. I don’t really want another office job (do not see the point moving from 1 office to another where it will probably be the same), I have looked into applying to the police force as the idea of working shifts and the work being different and varied interests me, (however I am not sure this is a good idea as I am Asian and think I may well regret this when I am working on the streets with some drunken idiots shouting abuse at me). I have also looked about on this forum for other people’s ideas and have tired match betting, you do make a nice bit of extra cash, however do not think you can do this to support yourself full time, as you have to keep the money in the bookies to continue.

Sorry to of waffled on a bit, back to what I was looking for advice on, how can I survive if I quit my job? Any ideas are welcome.

Comments

• The_Edible_Dormouse
    Options
    Hi,

It's miserable being stuck somewhere you hate. Would you be prepared to temp for a bit to keep the money coming in while you think about what you want to do and where you want to go next? It's a fairly good market at present, as companies are laying people off, then realising that actually the work still needs to be done...shop around some agencies just to test the water, and see what's out there.

Good luck!
    £5 a day in December £179.59/£155
    £100 on STP by 31 January 09 £2.03/£100
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    Options
    Look for another job now...if you've not already been doing so.

I was being bullied in this job, and I eventually quit as I couldn't take any more. I applied for jobseekers' allowance as I had been looking for work but had no new job to fall back on. I was sanctioned (not given money) for 6 months because I'd quit rather than being fired. In addition, it is even harder to find work now than it was for me back then in 2005 so really jus try to grin and bear it. I know it sucks. :(
  • racey84
    racey84 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks edible dormouse. I have singed up to all the recruitment agencies in the town I am from. However being told there is not alot avaliabe apart from shelf stacking jobs which pay less then I am currently on. I am currently phoning them every 2-3 days (hoping if I annoy them enough they will find something for me :rolleyes: )
  • racey84
    racey84 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    Look for another job now...if you've not already been doing so.

I was being bullied in this job, and I eventually quit as I couldn't take any more. I applied for jobseekers' allowance as I had been looking for work but had no new job to fall back on. I was sanctioned (not given money) for 6 months because I'd quit rather than being fired. In addition, it is even harder to find work now than it was for me back then in 2005 so really jus try to grin and bear it. I know it sucks. :(

I am looking, just can't find anything, as I am trying to find something I would like, but its diffcult as I don't really know what I want to do and also I guess with the economy being the way it is and christmas and new year.... Ah well guess I will just have to keep looking...
  • Canaani
    Options
    It is really worth some self-discovery to find what your dream job would be. I created my own job by starting a business back in 2000 to take people to swim with wild dolphins. I earn a good living and I am happy. You can too.
    You are obviously intelligent and have good skills. Explore your wildest dreams and see where they take you.
  • leviathan
    Options
    You haven't actually said what you are doing for a job currently?
    If you are in IT and capable, I'd suggest looking at contracting. It can offer a good variety of work for well known organisations you'd otherwise have trouble working for.
    That looks very good on a CV.
  • brooke3
    brooke3 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried guardian jobs? They always have a lot of jobs listed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure