Should I port my fixed 5.58% fixed rate or just pay the charges?

Options
Hi, I am selling my house due to splitting up with my partner and have just accepted an offer from a cash buyer. The only downer is I took out a 5 year fixed rate mortgage at 5.58% with Abbey in April 2008, which means we will be charged around £6400 to be released.

I have been told by Abbey that I could keep on part of the mortgage, which would reduce the charges. For example if I took on half of our £160,000 mortgage at £80,000 to by my self a new property then the charges will be reduced to aprox half at £3200. Obviously this saving would then have to be split between me and the ex, which would mean I’d be saving around £1,600.

On the one hand I hear that interest rates are dropping but then I also hear the aren’t really being passed on yet, the banks still aren’t confident about lending, people needing bigger deposits etc etc.

So my question is it worth me trying to quickly trying to find somewhere to make the saving (I do have my eye on a couple of places) or is it better to just take the charges on the chin and look for a new mortgage deal?:confused:

Cheers.
Gary.

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,039 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Find out the gap you are allowed between selling and buying. Some lenders will allow 6 months. You then pay the charges when you sell and are refunded when you buy.

Do check that the new mortgage doesn't have to be in the same names as the former.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,534 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its quite simple. You just have to cost the options over the remaining period and see which is most cost effective. I suspect keeping the rate will be. Plus, a 5.58% rate is very good for fix.

Don't fall into the trap thinking that recent interest rate drops are going to be like that long term. The minute the economy goes into positive territory you will see interest rates rise again as inflation will be the key driver then.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • glock339
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!:beer:

Abbey told me they usually allow 3 months to buy a new property, but this can be extended where needed and I could just take it on under my name. I'm not exactly sure if you pay the charges first and then get a refund, I'll have to ring em again and find out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure