We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Made Redundant

Options
Evening all,

Hopefully this is in the right forum and I've done everything right.

I currently work in the construction industry as a QS. I was informed by my employer today that I will be made redundant along with the rest of the team (approx 10 people).

Basically I was hoping that you all could offer some advice as to how to proceed as this is the first time that this has happened to me and I'm still relativly new to the world of work.

I'm 23 and have worked for the company for 2 years and 3 months (the timing was the only thing lucky here I think). I think this should equate me to a week and a half's pay.

When speaking to my employer do I have any leverage or is it basically a put up with it situation? I have done a bit of research myself a found that I am allowed time off to find new employment, is this only available for interviews or general days?

Additionally, my job is in Leeds and I live in Sheffield, I currently leave for work at 6am, would there be any ramifications if I decided to shorten my working hours so that I didnt have to get up as early in the morning. The same applies if I chose not to come to work. I realise that they can't exactly sack me, but I still want to remain professional and not have any entitlement I am owed affected.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts