Employer has re-advertised a job after the contract ended

Options
Basically my contract at work ended on the 31st of July, I was told at the time that the post wasn't going to get extended or going to be continued. It was an officer level job and they advertised for a manager for the same post but never got filled.

I ended up finding another post within the company through a re-deployment process. However 4 months later the company have re-advertised the job that I was doing.

Where do I stand? I'm really annoyed about it as at the time I was doing the job well and enjoyed it and didn't want to leave and was quite stressed at the time trying to find new employment.

Can they do this legally? Should I take advice? I'm not with one of the unions at work so does that make a difference?
2p off is still 2p off!

Comments

• bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,995 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Basically my contract at work ended on the 31st of July, I was told at the time that the post wasn't going to get extended or going to be continued. It was an officer level job and they advertised for a manager for the same post but never got filled.

I ended up finding another post within the company through a re-deployment process. However 4 months later the company have re-advertised the job that I was doing.

Where do I stand? I'm really annoyed about it as at the time I was doing the job well and enjoyed it and didn't want to leave and was quite stressed at the time trying to find new employment.

Can they do this legally? Should I take advice? I'm not with one of the unions at work so does that make a difference?

Apply for the job?
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They ne3eded a worker for a period of time.

Then work demand died off and they didn't need the post any more.

Now they do and have advertised again. Sounds ok to me.

I am assuming by 'my contract ended' yu mean you were on a fixed term contract? If so, nothing wrong here. If you were permanent and made redundant, it may be slightly different, but case difficult to prove - workloads and circumstances do change.
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • shirlgirl2004
    Options
    Depends how long your contract was for.
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Can they do this legally?

Yes. It was a fixed term contract that came to an end. You were not made redundant. Your contract came to a natural conlusion.

You can apply for it or not but as for getting anything out of it for the old contract ending, then you've no chance.
  • fatboyonadiet
    Options
    Thanks all, contract was for about 18 months originally.

I don't want the job now as I'm much happier doing what I'm doing just feel like I've been shafted!
    2p off is still 2p off!
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Why? The contract was a fixed term one. You completed the term. You'd feel shafted if you work like I do where you're booked on a daily basis and its commonplace to be told on Friday you're doing Mon-Fri the following week only to get a phone call on two of those days to say you're not needed.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You don't want your old job, you are much happier doing what you are doing now, but you feel like you have been shafted??? :confused:

Sounds to me like they did you a favour :rolleyes:

But no, since you ask, the employer has not done anything unlawful. You were not dismissed, so cannot claim unfair dismissal. It is highly unlikely that you could claim breach of contract as contracts are normally drafted so as to avoid such claims when moving staff around. But in any case, the time limit for a tribunal claim is three months from the date of the act complained of - which in your case would be the date of the old contract ending. Even if you did have the basis for a claim, you have a duty to mitigate your loss (that is if you have sustained a financial loss in any case?) which means applying for the job that has been advertised - which you have said you don't want.

Sorry, but I do not understand the point of this post!
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • fatboyonadiet
    Options
    Cheers all, guess I was just annoyed with how I was treated and what I was told by my line manager at the time, there's not a lot I can do other then lodge a grievance or apply for it and both of those are more effort then it's worth.

Guess I'll just have to man up and get over it!
    2p off is still 2p off!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport