Reference returned unanswered - advice

Options
I started my new job yesterday (after 3.5 months unemployed) and I was told that one of my reference requests was returned unopened with 'no longer working for (comapny)' written on the envelope. I can provide another reference.

The thing is can former employers do this? How am I supposed to know if my former boss has left? It could have been passed on to HR and for them to do a basic letter saying I was working as (position) between (dates). I don't have any other names for the company, as it's a call centre where the team leaders get less pay than some other call centre operators! Out of the dozen team leaders that left during my time there (18 months), 9 of them went to work at other call centres at they got £1500 pa for being an operator.

Shall I provide another reference or ask them to write to HR of the reference in question?
"The reason we're successful, darling? My overall charisma, of course." -- Freddie Mercury

Friends are kisses blown to us by angels - Anon.

Comments

• SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Gosh that's so unprofessional of them.

I would provide another reference name if I were you. Do you have anyone from employment prior to that last job?
  • SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Options
    I was always told you should ask before giving someone as a referee-the advantage being you would have known they were no longer there. It's not uncommon for firms to not open a letter addressed to a former employee-they would have had no idea the letter contained a request for a reference.
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I'd give your new company the choice-either send it again addressed to HR or tke up different reference
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • CCFC_80
    CCFC_80 Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    Options
    I always tell potential employers to contact HR through any of my previous employers. Unless you know the contact names well then I think this is the best option because they might have left the company. All HR dept's should give you a reasonably good reference if you were a good employee and had troublefree employment during that time.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    SuziQ wrote: »
    I was always told you should ask before giving someone as a referee-the advantage being you would have known they were no longer there. It's not uncommon for firms to not open a letter addressed to a former employee-they would have had no idea the letter contained a request for a reference.

I agree; it's terribly ill mannered to give an individual's name as a reference without asking permission and this situation shows the importance of adhering to the practice.
  • SandC
    Options
    Well I have asked if I've been leaving through redundancy or whatever but you can't really ask your direct boss if he's okay being a referree without letting the cat out of the bag that you are looking for alternative employment. This is why often you will tell potential employers only to contact the current employer after they have offered the position to you.

In this instance I think, yes it's a good idea to ask them to send another addressed to HR but generally speaking I think employers do like to now that the reference is being completed by someone who knows you. I guess it depends what they ask in the reference. Could be just a confirmation of you working there and what dates plus attendance etc. or it could be a lot more specific than that.

Anyhoo, that's just my take on it.
  • jumpycheese1
    Options
    Thanks

When I left, my line manager said - you can use me for any future references. The thought has occurred to me that HR/Payroll were rubbish and slow - so I will use another reference.
    "The reason we're successful, darling? My overall charisma, of course." -- Freddie Mercury

Friends are kisses blown to us by angels - Anon.
  • Scousebird_2
    Options
    I personally use HR for all my jobs because that is where you get an easy standard reference with a quick turnaround also. I am about to have my work history checked for a job and I have to provide information for the last 3-5 years which should be fun!
    Loan-£3600 only 24 months of payments to go!!!
    All debt consolodated and cards destroyed!!
    As D'Ream would sing 'Things.....can only get better'!!!
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    Just to say that there is really no surprise that the letter was returned. It was addressed to a specific person (who had left) and presumably said 'STRICTLY PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL' on the envelope. The firm did the right thing by returning it!
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • SandC
    Options
    Still doesn't allow for common sense. Most companies have a policy that states that all mail can be opened. If someone has left, even more reason to open it.

In my job I have the permission to open mail addressed to my boss whatever it says on the envelope, be that strictly private and confidential, addressee only, by order of her majesty or what.

Mail received in a company is their property - if you are receiving personal things sent to work you run the risk of it being opened.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure