Urgent need for mortgage

Options
Hi

We nearly bought a house in July and at the time we had applied for a 3 year fixed rate mortgage at 6.38% with HSBC. It is fees free (no valuation costs either). The reason for choosing it was that we only borrow £25,000 and a lower percentage mortgage was going to cost too much in fees. Not worth it.
We are now finally moving (completion date in 5 weeks) and I wonder if I should stick to this deal. There does not seem to be much out there and I don't think it is worth paying £1,000 arrangement fees for one percent lower.
Also, HSBC has done all the paperwork so there would be no delay.
I would appreciate a bit of advice.
Thanks

Comments

• herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    Have you got a mortgage for £25k

If so, then you are right to think that your are more sensitive to fees as opposed to interest rates

There are some deals out now in the mid to high 4% region - with different fees, so ideally you would need to compare against those, and maybe other deals that will come out shortly, and see which could work out better for you
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure