Removing myself from a mortgage

Options
I recently split up with my partner, there is a child involved.

I am currently paying every bill inc mortgage for the house that my ex girlfriend and child live in. The bills are £1300 and i cannot afford to cover them and cannot afford a place of my own. She is also not letting me see my son which is making this even harder. I want to take myself off the mortgage so that she will have to start paying the bills. i then will sort out CSA and access to my child.

Can i simply remove myself from the mortgage and not be liable for any outstanding debt on it? I understand that i will also potentially lose out from an equity in the house.

Any help on this would be fantastic either about child access or the mortgage because I have no idea what to do!!!

Comments

• TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No you can't remove yourself - it is your debt whether you live in the house or not. Is it a joint mortgage or just yours ?

You need to get some professional advice asap - with a child involved it is likely to be complicated.
  • adamshaw
    Options
    As far as i am aware mate you can not remove yourself from the mortgage. Speak to a solicitor firstly.

However IIRC your partner will have to apply for a new mtg in her name for the current amount or more. The old mortgage in joint names will then be paid off with the new mtg in her sole name.

I think this is what the solicitor will advise you.

Good Luck mate, not ideal in the current situation. She would also need to be able to afford repayments and pass thr affordability on her own salary.

Speak to a solicitor ASAP mate and do not default on payments in the meantime. You are currently listed on the mtg so you are also currently liable to pay!!

HTH
  • flaura
    flaura Posts: 242 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Speak to a solicitor ASAP - you could affectively buy her out make her buy you out if it's a joint mortgage....but one of you would have to remortgage....perhaps you could somehow both agree to sell the property ? but you need a solicitor now to do all this with..

don't stop paying....

you would need to both mutually agree for you to remove you from the mortgage if it is in both names and there is involvement with the deeds and land regsitry also...
    Lightbulb Moment - March 2004 :cry:
    Highest Debt: £16,896.00 :mad:
    :rotfl: Debt Free Date 25th July 2007 !!
    :j and still DEBT FREE
  • flaura
    flaura Posts: 242 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    you could remove your names from the bills though...

if they are in joint names ??? gas, electric, water, council tax, etc... write tothe council to inform them you have moved out of the property on such and such a date...?

but seriously get on the phone to a solicitor now......!! speak to one first before you do anything....
    Lightbulb Moment - March 2004 :cry:
    Highest Debt: £16,896.00 :mad:
    :rotfl: Debt Free Date 25th July 2007 !!
    :j and still DEBT FREE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport