Wedding Gift to Daughter

Options
2»

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,173 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I think that giving it with an accompanying letter saying that "as she knew, you intended making her a gift of X on the occasion of her wedding. Sorry it didn't arrive before but the money was tied up with the house sale." should cover you if necessary.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • blue-kat
    blue-kat Posts: 453 Forumite
    Options
    thank very much for the helpful replies _ I'll discuss the situation with relatives.
  • scope
    scope Posts: 764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do people really worry about giving away too much and its tax implications? Do you really think HMRC is going to investigate every transaction in this country? I would not worry one bit giving my daughter 20k.. just split it up in small transactions and nobody will know.

Lots of parents pay for the entire wedding, often costing 10s of thousands, do they declare this?
  • RayWolfe
    RayWolfe Posts: 3,045 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This problem only kicks in if the giver dies before 7 years after the payment so it's unlikely that this affect most people ... however ... don't be cavalier about this, the estate administrator has to make checks to find out if payments have been made.
    It's so easy to say "I would not worry, who's going to find out"! The reason we have laws is to protect us from people with no morals.
  • LisaT186
    LisaT186 Posts: 225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Funny my Mum and Dad were looking at this over the weekend. I got married in June and they settled the reception costs as a gift as well as giving me a cheque. They were concerned as where to declare it as they are convinced that one of them will 'go' in the next 7 years and anything taken out of the IHT pot is useful. Dad discovered that it is £5000 each parent and he believes you declare it on your self-assessment form if you do one. Not sure what happens if you don't!
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LisaT186 wrote: »
    Funny my Mum and Dad were looking at this over the weekend. I got married in June and they settled the reception costs as a gift as well as giving me a cheque. They were concerned as where to declare it as they are convinced that one of them will 'go' in the next 7 years and anything taken out of the IHT pot is useful. Dad discovered that it is £5000 each parent and he believes you declare it on your self-assessment form if you do one. Not sure what happens if you don't!

why does he want to declare it...if he has given it to you it wont be there will it?
  • RayWolfe
    RayWolfe Posts: 3,045 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LisaT186 wrote: »
    They were concerned as where to declare it as they are convinced that one of them will 'go' in the next 7 years and anything taken out of the IHT pot is useful. Dad discovered that it is £5000 each parent and he believes you declare it on your self-assessment form if you do one. Not sure what happens if you don't!
    No, it does not have to be declared to anyone at this stage. Only if the giver dies does it become an issue, when it does have to be declared (if applicable) by the administrator of the dead persons estate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport