Libor Takes A Tumble 3.21%

Options
At the start of last week the rate stood at 5.77%, so as a result of the 1.5% in base rates the Libor has gone down by 1.27%, giving lenders the chance to cut rates. The overnight Libor rate has now fallen to 3.21%.

This should now allow the banks to borrow monies cheaply, and pass on reductions on interest direct to borrowers

LIBOR Rate - is the rate at which banks lend to each other

I am a Mortgage Adviser. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it . This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.

Comments

• Baz_2
    Baz_2 Posts: 729 Forumite
    Options
    Doesn't matter what the rate is, if they still won't lend to each other nothing will change will it.

Fingers crossed some cheap 5 year 4.5% fixes come along.
  • nobblyned
    Options
    LIBOR is the de-facto rate at which they are willing to lend each other.

So hopefully fixes will be getting cheaper soon as you say.
  • MortgagePerson
    Options
    They should do, as even although the Bank Base Rate came down, banks lending to each other was high, so nothing startling was happening It will now

I am a Mortgage Adviser. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it . This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • TREVORCOLMAN
    Options
    Apparently there are 6 savers for every borrower in this Country. But its those in debt who make the most noise, therefore lots of hoots when int rates go down - those who have saved all their lives dont even get a look in.
    I am NOT a mortgage & insurance adviser - or anything to do with finance, that was put on by the new system I dont know why?!
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Overnight LIBOR is less relevant, its 3 month LIBOR which is the really key number and that is standing at 4.42% down .075% from Friday so not really shifting other than the 1% jump down straight off last week.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • unite79
    unite79 Posts: 392 Forumite
    Options
    I would expact to see the 3 month value get affected towards the end of week.
  • Baz_2
    Baz_2 Posts: 729 Forumite
    Options
    Where can you find upto date LIBOR rates online?

Does the BBA site show old info?
  • RomansProperties
    Options
    The 3 month on Friday was 4.49 so down a lot on the Previous day
    How do you find the 3 month LIBOR on the day?
    I can only get it on the night from
    http://markets.ft.com/ft/markets/reports/FTReport.asp?dockey=MNY-071108
  • speedbird1973
    Options
    Apparently there are 6 savers for every borrower in this Country. But its those in debt who make the most noise, therefore lots of hoots when int rates go down - those who have saved all their lives dont even get a look in.

That's the point Trevor. We're on the brink of recession. To reduce the impact of the recession the government wants you to spend, not save.

Think big picture. It's not about savers and borrowers, it's about increasing the money flowing through the economy. With low interest rates savers are more inclined to spend and borrowers have more money available in which to spend.
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    With low interest rates savers are more inclined to spend and borrowers have more money available in which to spend.
    Alternative theory - as interest rates are lowered in panic, borrowers pay down their debts and savers have less interest to spend...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure