Starting a new pension - help needed

Options
I currently have two company pensions, one of which was frozen in 1999. I will leave my current employer at the end of January and so I assume that my existing company pension with them will also be frozen after this date.

I am going to start work for a Japanese company on 1st Feb but they do not have a company pension scheme in the UK. They have however offered to pay in 7.5% of my salary into my nominated pension scheme.

What I would like to know is how do I start looking for a suitable pension scheme. My salary will be >£30k, not sure if that makes a difference.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Matched betting profits since 11/10/06 = £1,554

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are over 100 pension schemes that will take regular contributions. Many or much the same. However, a number do have features that make them unique or make them stand out above the rest. It really depends on what you are looking for and if any of those stand out options suit you in particular.

Usually, the first thing to consider is where you want to invest. If you want a full diversified range of investments, you may be looking at SIPP. If you want a decent range and a possible cheaper product, you may be looking at a personal pension or a stakeholder pension. (Either a stakeholder pension or a personal pension can be cheaper depending on which provider you use and what features you want).

A pension is not much different to other investments. There is a large range available and many different features available. It depends on what you want as to which one will be best.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure