DP not interested in money saving

Options
Aaagh. I forgot why I chose that username until I brought up money saving with DP.

Typical comment "I don't want to pay any more than we are now off our mortgage. We need to live for today not 20+ years time." Jesus Christ, we only pay £500 pm on mortgage (basic repayment is £290ish) and we earn just over £40,000 pa between us - I'm part time now since DS, used to be £50,000+ pa. I've tried to explain that we are saving tens of thousands of ££'s in interest.

We live comfortably, and I think we need to put more by/pay off mortgage, rather than spend, but every time I try to talk about money he turns into b****y batchelor boy. :mad: He turned 40 this year. I would say it's a phase, but actually, surprisingly, he's mellowed over the years!

Is it just me?

Rant over. Glad I got that out of my system.

Comments

• nickyhutch
    nickyhutch Posts: 7,596 Forumite
    Options
    It's his money and his mortgage too. He's entitled to an opinion on how to spend (or save) it.
    ******** Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity *******
    "Always be calm and polite, and have the materials to make a bomb"
  • Aaagh
    Aaagh Posts: 181 Forumite
    Options
    Fair point.

But I'm right...!
  • DON79
    DON79 Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Options
    ;) Have you got a one account type of mortgage? Maybe if he doesn't want to actively save, you could try an offset type of mortgage? That way he would have no choice as anything not spent would automatically pay off your mortgage quicker. ;)
    BSC #215/No.1 Jan 09 Club
  • Aaagh
    Aaagh Posts: 181 Forumite
    Options
    No. He's been with Yorkshire Bank for 20 years, who charge us £25 A DAY plus interest if we go over our limit. Found out that when they charged us £150 while we where away on holiday and only refunded part of it after several letters that I wrote. He seems to be very devoted to them even though they treat him like s**t. Seems like an ex of mine!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure