How close to the brink are you? poll discussion

Options

Comments

• SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've said 1 too - the extreme thing being losing of job.
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    Options
    It depends what sort of job you have though; I mean people will always need doctors and police officers, but builders and decorators I know are really finding it hard to get work right now as it's not a necessity to get these works done and people are having to cut back.
  • *Louise*
    *Louise* Posts: 9,197 Forumite
    Options
    2. Mostly fine.

We are lucky in that OH has a job which is more profitable due to the recession. Not that I would will it to last, I hate hearing of people struggling. :sad:
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    Options
    Louise, I am not an expert, but I reckon it'll take about 2 years for things to turn around.

Then again, it amazes me when one minute we hear about credit crunches and then tickets for events keep selling out within nanoseconds.
  • whitesofmyeyes
    Options
    Hard to say ,I am expecting to recieve a job interview with a good chance of getting the Job,getting me back to work after years of bringing up my family,but it is not guaranteed.

However my ex has told me there are to be redundancy's in his work and he doesn't know if he will be one of them,which would mean a serious drop in my income,as I rely on that money to survive.

If I get the Job I should be ok,If I don't and he becomes unemployed ,I am seriously going to be in dificulty ,with the first cut being the driving lessons I am taking to improve my Job prospects and increase my flexability.

I would have to cut my already low food bill,I can't really cut much else ,Might have to make DD walk to school as her Bus pass is £21 a month,but it is the Winter and cold where we live none of the other children walk to school ,she doesn't quality for a free Bus pass.
    Would have to stop DD Drama classes,even though it's the only time she goes out apart from school.

I can't afford to buy clothes for myself currently or get a haircut,I desperately need a new coat as my coat is now over six years old and worn out,I go without so my child can have the things she needs,a drop in income would mostly impact on her as I don't spend on myself.

I don't want to think about it as we live a very frugal and meger existence at the moment,I don't have any debt and have already bought most xmas presents and have saved up for the rest,but would have to cut back for DD,but she Is Very understanding and although she would be secretly disappointed she would be fine.

It is very worring,at a time when I am really trying to get on a firm financial footing by getting a job and becoming financially independant,I can see a major bought of depression looming if My ex loses his job and I don't get one.

At least I have a roof over our heads,others aren't so lucky.

I still feel positive it will work out,guess I will have to wait and see.
  • Gillby1
    Gillby1 Posts: 659 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Actually, thanks to Martin and this everyone on site i should be fine. If this has happened three years ago it would be a completely different story.

That's the honest, genuine truth, so thanks Martin/all! :T
    Debt free date: October 2006 :money:
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have one part time job, just left my other one, been waiting for housing benefit since February and am about to be made homeless, and trying to survive on about £35 a week for everything.
    If you are going to be made homeless through non payment of rent contact Housing Benefit with a letter from your landlord stating you will be evicted if you don't pay. Nine months waiting for H Ben is clearly unacceptable, you should go to your local Citizens Advice or other welfare benefits help places in your area as a call from them (with you present) can often get things moving. Also once it's sorted out put in a complaint through the council's complaints procedure and contact the Ombudsman.
    They just keep sending me letters and charging £15 for the honour. I have proof that I have been responding (emails in my sent box) but cannot prove the phone calls as I am on PAYG.
    Who is charging you £15?

Whoever it is, you need to go and see them in person (is there some reason why you haven't gone to speak to them?).
    ......if it gets worse I will go to the homeless people but I don't want to detract from people who seriously need it. I am in arrears of over £1000 at my old place and £800 here so it's not great.
    You will seriously need it if you don't sort this out! You will find it extremely difficult to get any new place with those arrears and have no money for a deposit.

Please go to CAB etc. for help.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • liz545
    liz545 Posts: 1,726 Forumite
    Options
    I voted 4, I feel relatively secure at work, our rent is affordable, and our tenancy is pretty secure (not a BTL landlord!). Thanks to this site I've gotten my debt down to manageable levels and I'm living within my means so I've started building up a savings cushion. OH's job's slightly less secure, and he's not got the same MSE attitude as I have, but with a bit of discipline I think we could manage. I think things are likely to get much worse before they get better, and I think we're looking at a recession of at least 3 years, but I also think that the majority of the country don't realise this or think it will affect them that much. I'm worried we're in for a big shock when unemployment starts to rise and people realise they can't afford to shop like they used to!
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
  • fedupfreda
    Options
    Between 6 and 7 - but then we should be used to this as it has always been tough for us, the boom never seemed to happen here. Thankfully we bought our house in 93 when prices were reasonable (£45k). God knows how people manage to buy a house these days. At current prices we would never be able to save for the deposit let alone afford a mortgage. Having said that our mortgage pmt has gone up by £100 this month (just come off a 5 year fixed rate) and the bank want a fee of £1000 to get us on their new 5 year fixed rate. I only wish I had that kind of money to hand.... Even then the payments arent that different from being on their standard variable.:(

Don't ask me about remortgaging - we have looked into this and for one reason and another it is just not viable. Will have to ride out the storm. Thankfully OH has been in his job for 20 years so he will be pretty expensive for his employer to get rid of. I work part time so would be fairly cheap to make redundant. I am keeping my fingers crossed. :cool:
    SMILE....they will wonder what you are up to...........;)
  • giada
    giada Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Although my husband and I are not hurting at present we are about to take on a huge amount of debt.
    We're buying a business with two flats to renovate (freehold, fortunately). It involves borrowing over 100% of the property, taking on a charge against our currently un-mortgaged house and still finding money to pay the small(ish)mortgage we have on our property in France. Plus I've cashed in everything I can from my pension to buy stock.
    If I can't keep the business in profit we are going to be well and truely paddleless up the proverbial creek. We're just holding on to the thought that if you don't take the opportunity when it arises then you regret it ever afterwards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure