Calling all NHS workers

Options
Hi folks. I currently work in the NHS in an admin and clerical role, and have been formally offered a new job within the same hospital on a higher band. I have been told that I wont require another CRB or Occupational health check and that the new department would like me to start asap. So does anyone know how much notice is required as I would like to hand it in today or tomorrow?

Also it is a nightshift position and wondered whether admin staff are subject to pay enhancements for night / unsocial hours under agenda for change?

Thank you all
Amy x

Comments

• SomeBozo
    SomeBozo Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Options
    Band 1 - 6 is 4 weeks notice.

Re: Unsocial hours. Depends what hours you work. It will be in your contract but its usually time and a half for nights and weekend, double for bank holidays.

Bozo
  • amyhill
    amyhill Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Bozo. Would you suggest I wait until the end of this week to hand my notice in, so that it would tie in with a monday start? i.e 8th December

The shifts are: week 1 - 4pm-12pm
    week 2 - 12pm-8am

I just wanted to check about the enhancements as it would make quite a big difference to my monthly salary
  • ceebeeby
    ceebeeby Posts: 4,357 Forumite
    Options
    Amyhill,

Check with your HR Dept. re: enhancements. Anything else is just guess work on our part. For example, the higher up the banding you get, the less the % salary.

Presumably you've got your new job offer in writing? If not, then wait until you've received it. Did you not have to apply for it / be interviewed for it?

Speak to your boss about your notice period, often they'll be flexible if its an internal transfer, particularly if they've already got someone in mind to back-fill.

No, there are no Occ Health Checks / CRB checks if it's an internal transfer (but if there's something you should declare, then you should do so). For example, I'm completely guessing, but by the hours, I'd say it's something to do with Med Recs or Ward Clerking, in which case you'd be exposed to heavy lifting (case-records).

Congratulations on the new job!!!
  • amyhill
    Options
    Hi Ceebeeby. Ive e mailed the man from personnel whos name was on the formal job offer letter but ive had no response all day. It doesnt mention anything about enhancements in the letter, however who would want to work those shifts without them?! You're right im going to be a team leader in a health records department. It was just to see if anyone else out there worked similar shifts in an admin role and thus got paid the enhanced rate for nights / late shifts.

Amy x
  • SomeBozo
    SomeBozo Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Options
    Amy

Check with the HR/new line manager about enhanced rates.

One side of me thinks that if you JUST work unsocial hours, you get the standard rate of pay.

However I just found this on my colleagues PC (who deals with the NHS that says)

The night and Saturday rate will apply for any time worked before 6.00 am or after 8.00 pm
    Monday to Friday and any time worked on Saturday. For bands 1-4 a premium of 33.33% of
    the basic hourly rate will be paid, for all other bands 30% of the basic hourly rate will be paid.
    The Sunday and Bank Holiday rate will apply for any time worked on Sundays or Bank
    Holidays. For bands 1-4 66.67% of the basic hourly rate will be paid and for all other bands
    60% of the basic hourly rate will be paid.

But the document is old and probably applies during the Agenda 4 Change assimilation period.

You need to check this out if you are relying on the money.

Good luck and well done!

Bozo
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    If it's within the same trust often your managers will work out the new start date, I don't think you hand in notice either (I know I didn't when I changed over I just signed the new contract) but if you do be careful with the wording that you don't accidentally resign from the trust

Speak to your manager about being offered the new position and that they want you to start as soon as possible, but you are willing to work the 4 weeks if you can't be released earlier.

Admin on the ward where I work get the weekend enhancements (they don't do the night shift) so I imagine you'd get the unsocial hours payments
  • amyhill
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Someone from HR is looking into it for me and is going to provide mw with some upto date literature regarding the enhancements. Seems I will be getting nightshift pay so thats cool. Also ive been told I need to give 4 weeks notice so I will hand that in on Friday. Just got my 7 hours flexi to make up now! boooo! and ive already taken a lot of my holiday so duno how that will work, whether i will owe my current department.

Thanks for everyones help

Amy x
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    amyhill wrote: »
    Hi folks. I currently work in the NHS in an admin and clerical role, and have been formally offered a new job within the same hospital on a higher band. I have been told that I wont require another CRB or Occupational health check and that the new department would like me to start asap. So does anyone know how much notice is required as I would like to hand it in today or tomorrow?
    Thank you all

Amy x

But surely you will be working for the same employer - why would you hand in your notice of you weren't leaving?
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • amyhill
    Options
    But surely you will be working for the same employer - why would you hand in your notice of you weren't leaving?

You still have to hand in your notice from the current position in order to start the new job, and also give them four weeks to start the recruitment process to find a replacement. For NHS management positions you have to give much longer notice even if you are still going to be working within the same Trust, I think its so that they can start to advertise for a replacement etc

Amy x
  • surreysaver
    Options
    amyhill wrote: »

You still have to hand in your notice from the current position in order to start the new job, and also give them four weeks to start the recruitment process to find a replacement. For NHS management positions you have to give much longer notice even if you are still going to be working within the same Trust, I think its so that they can start to advertise for a replacement etc

Amy x

Doesn't make sense to me. In any other employer people communicate with each other to organise release dates etc. No wonder the NHS doesn't work!
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure