Do Pension funds front load their fees?

I'm not keen on paying into a pension, and would rather consider other investments. One reason is that I've heard that they often have fees and charges and these can be heavily front loaded, so the early contributions you make will have lined their pockets even if you don't keep up your pension contributions later on. Is this true?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,355 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm not keen on paying into a pension, and would rather consider other investments

pensions are not investments. They are a tax wrapper that you put your investments into. A container as such.
    . One reason is that I've heard that they often have fees and charges and these can be heavily front loaded

That reason is not valid. Some pensions are mono charged (just have an annual management charge). Some are front loaded. However, some of those plans which are front loaded come in cheaper than a mono charged pension.
    so the early contributions you make will have lined their pockets even if you don't keep up your pension contributions later on.

Not quite as severe in the way you put it but correct. Typically it just adds to the amc for the first 3-5 years rather than your contributions suffering any initial charge. However, there are versions that can have an initial charge and come out cheaper.

Pensions are very cheap nowadays whether you go with a factory gate price plan or a mono charged plan. Especially when you compare the charges to ISAs or unwrapped unit trusts.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Pensions are very cheap nowadays whether you go with a factory gate price plan or a mono charged plan. Especially when you compare the charges to ISAs or unwrapped unit trusts.

If you go through a discount broker they will all be much cheaper than using any kind of advisor or buying direct.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,355 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If you go through a discount broker they will all be much cheaper than using any kind of advisor or buying direct.

Not necessarily. A 30 year old paying £100pm with an IFA using a factory gate priced pension taking a £1500 fee will be cheaper than a nil commission stakeholder bought on execution only. Mainly as many of the factory gate priced pensions are not available direct or through discount IFAs.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure