belfast window co not trading - what about my 15 year guarantee??

as i need them fixed as they full of condensation in the morning, cant even see out of them and they letting in draughts. Have i lost my guarantee? They were purchased in 2003. Sorry if this is in wrong place i didnt know where to put it. Thanks

Comments

• The same thing happened to my mother. She bought windows, got a guarantee, the company went bust, then the seals went on two of the double glazed units allowing condensation to get between the panes of glass.

She had to choose another company to come out and replace the glass units at her own expense.

I don't think there's anything you can do unless your house insurance is comprehensive enough to cover you for the window company going bust.
    Norn Iron Club Member 330 ;)
  • I agree, dont think there is anything you can do. We had guttering fitted a few years back by a reputable company. 2 weeks later guttering leaked and we discovered company had gone and our guarantees are nul and void. Had to pay new company to come and fix it. Sometimes these guarantees arent worth the paper they are written on, especially when they are for years and years - what are the chances of these types of companies actually still being in business then, especially in the current climate. Its a disgrace There should be a trade body that does the guarantee, not the individual company.
    Feel free to thank me, it makes my toes tingle and my ears go warm :T
  • Sorry for the rant above but it bugs me!! LOL!
    Feel free to thank me, it makes my toes tingle and my ears go warm :T
  • BigAl94
    BigAl94 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Sorry but guarantee is worthless!
  • wacko911
    wacko911 Posts: 678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Did you pay by credit card?

Pay £100+ on your credit card for a £20,000 extension and if the builder/business goes bellyup (or just changes it's name by one letter) then the credit card company is liable for the full 20K!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure