Credit report questions if I may?

Options
Hi Guys

I have just signed up to Experian to have a look at my credit report and it doesn't look too bad, there are 18 accounts and all are satisfactory which is good.

There are a couple of old catalogue accounts on there and an old credit card that I haven't used for a couple of years or more. I see the general advice is to cancel old cards etc that are no longer used to improve credit rating. How soon do they go off your experian report? Do they go straight away or will they still sit there for 6 years?

Thanks all!

Comments

• bathgatebuyer
    Options
    I believe they sit there for 6 years, but that actually settling them and closing is best for your actual 'score' as it shows you can meet your credit commitments and aren't likely to use your cards to your limit. If you leave the account open, the thinking is that at any point you could max them up and any credit decision made by a bank becomes a very different issue.
    Almost debt-free, but certainly even with the Banks!
  • ineedhelp2008
    Options
    I believe they sit there for 6 years, but that actually settling them and closing is best for your actual 'score' as it shows you can meet your credit commitments and aren't likely to use your cards to your limit. If you leave the account open, the thinking is that at any point you could max them up and any credit decision made by a bank becomes a very different issue.
    ]]

So they will still be on there, but they will say 'closed' or something to that effect?

Thanks
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They say settled I think initially...
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 236 payments to go - now £183,036 Equity 26.8%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £4.6K on 0% spends card but offset by £33.8K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £10.2K/£127.5K AVC target 8% value at 15/5
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport