Final Settlement offer - playing games?

Options
Hello all, im a new user and would appreciate advice!

I have been repaying my debts, which date back to 1999, via a dmp (with Consumer Credit Counselling, great by the way) and now my outstanding balance is £2000 and is only with one creditor, Lloyds TSB. After completing an income review with CCCS recently, as i am on maternity leave and income rapidly depleting they suggested as i only have one creditor i offer a full and final settlement amount to them.

So on their advice, via my husband (he wrote letter offering amount), we offered £550 to settle debt. I then receive a letter from Global Debt Recovery asking me to contact them - note not accepting or declining offer - to discuss the balance, which then seems to be alot higher than the balance showing on my CCCS statement. Contacted Global Debt Recovery, and spoke to a, shall we say rather abrasive, ungentlemanly fellow, who from the beginning of the conversation took a very patronising, intimidating tone with me, not at all professional. He stated the offer could not be accepted, and basically tried to get me to offer more (i didnt), implied he could look at my husbands income (i know he cant as its my debt way before i married), and dismissed my reasons for my income going down (having 2 baby girls!), and told me i MUST fill in a budget review form with him. I told him that no i had recently done one with CCCS and they were happy with my budget, stuck to my guns, and after the conversation ended rang CCCS to make sure i had done right thing. They assured me yes, not to ring Global again, and i didnt need to fill in any forms for Global.

So my queries are, if anyone knows or any experience with this are:
1. As they havent refused offer in writing does that mean they are likely or unlikely to take a Full and final settlement offer?
2. Is it normal for a debt agency to be dealing with a debt from Lloyds?
3. How is it best to deal with such bullying aggressive people - i consider myself to be fairly strong, but he made me quite uneasy!
4.Any further thoughts, views welcome!!

Thanks for listening, Helenwelshy:)

Comments

• Bambywamby
    Bambywamby Posts: 1,608 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya Helen :)

You will get more replies if you put your questions on the Debt Free Wannabe Forum, rather than this one that is aimed at people paying their mortgage off.
    If you post there, you will find lots of helpful advice.

Good luck

Bam x
    *Frugal Living 2015* *Not Buying It 2015*
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ MARK TWAIN

27/50
  • stapeley
    stapeley Posts: 2,315 Forumite
    Options
    We advise NEVER to talk on phone to these low life . IT DOES ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD. You will only speck to operator who is on commission. Its a bit late in the day for the CCA request , I would just carry on paying what you are now .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure