unions?

can someone point me in right direction. i'll keep it short.
off sick at present, also have dispute with employers (wont bore u with long story).
need to join a union . any recommendations would be helpful, employed with local authority.
btw please recommend any except for unison.
thanks
Nice to save.

Comments

• Anthillmob
    Anthillmob Posts: 11,780 Forumite
    im employed by local authority and my union is UNISON. our union office is based at the civic centre though i dont know if this is the case for all LAs.

http://www.unison.org.uk/

edit : then i read youd like anyone but unison. have you had a problem with them? i think unison are the only ones for LAs. maybe the CAB can help.
    There's someone in my head, but it's not me
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    btw please recommend any except for unison.

Is the problem with a particular steward or at branch level?

You will be limited to unions you're employer has a recognition agreement with.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • ohreally
    Combo Breaker First Post
    off sick at present, also have dispute with employers (wont bore u with long story).

Is it a dispute or grievence, and has it been raised formally?
  • Anthillmob
    its not the old "sickness review" problem is it? they make me laugh at work with their sickness reviews and will stick you on it for any reason. one girl i work with had a mental breakdown and was off for 6 months and they put her on review! i think thats outrageous. they even had a "word" with me about my sickness level after i was off for 4 weeks after suffering a miscarriage!
  • rabialiones
    rabialiones Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ohreally wrote:
    Is it a dispute or grievence, and has it been raised formally?

it is a dispute and has been raised formally.
    cut a long story short, sacked then reinstated after appeal, but not happy with wording used in letters, seems they realised they were in wrong so reinstated me. however, wording used in letters is very misleading, i.e. they are not admitting their faults, but think they are doing me a favour.
    they say they are going to keep notes on file for 3 years,putting me in wrong. seems that they will be out to get me, i.e. just looking for an excuse to get rid of me.
    unison, i,m not happy with as they seem to be on their side, (from colleagues past experience). therefore looking for independent union. i.e. not linked with LA
    Nice to save.
  • Alleycat
    Alleycat Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Do you have a employees handbook or look on the intranet site at work, any that are recognised by your employers should be on there. Also do you have a Union Rep at work you could speak to? There should be one within your department.

Are there any of your colleagues you could ask for advice on the best Union you could join?

It may be worth speaking to someone at CAB for advice? I think also it may depend on what department within your local authority you work for.
    "I've fallen down a hole" - said in best Monty Python voice-over.
  • Anthillmob
    a colleague of mine has just quit her job after relentless bullying from those up high, all because her face doesnt fit. the amount of times shes been picked on and accused of thing she hasnt done, including racism, is staggering. i believe she is now able to "do" the LA for constructive dismissal. maybe thats something you could also look into.
  • ohreally
    Combo Breaker First Post
    it is a dispute and has been raised formally.

A dispute is normally where a group is disaffected, i'd tend to term your position as a grievence. Pedantic, i know.
    As you've raised it formally, what stage is it at and who is handling it, yourself? Be mindfull that you must follow policy or it will fall - it's dead in the water if this happens.

sacked then reinstated after appeal, but not happy with wording used in letters, seems they realised they were in wrong so reinstated me. however, wording used in letters is very misleading, i.e. they are not admitting their faults

They will never admit the're in the wrong, accept it, it's par for the course. The pertinent point is you're reinstated. I assume the reinstatement is at no loss to yourself, i.e. full pension reinstatement etc etc.

You need to establish what they mean by keeping notes on file for three years, and implying impropriery on you part in some way. This needs clarification and should be a major part of the grievence.

If your college felt Unison mishandled a case, he should have raised it at the time with the branch secretary and the claim would have been investigated.
  • rabialiones
    rabialiones Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i have tried time and again asking them main reasons for initial dismissal, but they just seem to beat about the bush, now having decided to reinstate me.
    i do feel as tho my 'face doesn't fit' as anthillmob has described it.
    will look into ' constructive dissmissal' as i do really feel uncomfortable about whole situation. please advise as to how to go about this or who to approach.
    altho i have not resigned as yet, i loved my job and having been there for a no. of years, do not want to start at the bottom of the ladder again. altho i have had little in the way of pay rise. i look at other job adverts and see they are much higher paid, doing same/similar job to me.
    its just unfortunate that the higher ranks seem to be trying to make life difficult for me.

as i am not at work, i cant really ask colleagues, also, i'm worried that a union may not take on my case if i join one now.
    any advice appreciated.
    Nice to save.
  • Anthillmob
    http://www.compactlaw.co.uk/monster/empf8.html

its got some blurb on constructive dismissal and should be of some use to you.

good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family