PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

That wet flannel smell!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    I always have 2 face cloths on the go at the same time. One (cream) for above the waist and one (green) for below :o . After showering I rinse them both very well, wring out and place over the side of the bath. I will use them both again the following day but after day 2 they both get rinsed out again and then immediately put in the wash! I think I must have around 15 face cloths altogether - but they are all cream and green so I never make a mistake which is for where :rolleyes: .

Wet, screwed up flannels on the side of the bath is a real bug-bear of mine!
  • border_collie
    Options
    FLANNELS!!! :eek: GROSS.

Hands, with soap and water everytime.
    The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.
  • Mike_Caerdydd
    Options
    I started having this problem over the past few months. I've no idea as to why it's started but within a 24/48 hours my face towels/Flannels are smelling musty.

I am pretty sure it's to do with my Wife (who has recently been diagnosed with an interactive thyroid and because if this feels cold all the time) wanting to have the central heating on far more. The warmth probably provides the ideal temp for the bacteria to grow.

Anyway. I think I've found a solution for face flannels.

At the first sign of any mustiness I soak the flannel, then wring out any excess water (Do not over wring out because of the next stage).

Simply put in the Microwave in their wrung shape (not laid flat or opened out)for 3 minutes on full.

Remove carefully as the flannel will obviously be hot but will cool surprisingly quickly.

Rinse under cold water and they should be good for a few days, They will certainly last far longer than if just taken out of the machine.

Hope this helps,

Mike.
  • Mike_Caerdydd
    Options
    That should read underactive thyroid. ��
  • auntymabel
    auntymabel Posts: 433 Forumite
    Options
    I liked interactive thyroid :)
    'Yaze whit yeh hive an ye'll niver wahnt'

(From Mae Stewart's book 'Dae Yeh Mind Thon Time?')
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have used vinegar for years in the final rinse in the washing machine, it kills any soap residue, it does not smell when you take the washing out of the machine.

I also put half a cup of washing soda in the bottom of the machine a couple of times a month when I am doing a 60o wash, we live in a hard water area and it keeps the pipes clean.

I use Aldi's washing liquid, just half the measure is enough for a full load of laundry.
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I boil my flannels and teatowels after a couple of uses.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you put the machine on a hot wash occasionally to clean the drum and the pipework?
  • beautiful_ravens
    Options
    Flannels - with 5 of us, I am not washing flannels every day. Ive got a teatowel rail hanging above the sink, attached under a shelf. Everyone has their own flannel, and it gets wrung and hung over the rail after each use. They are only used for faces and everyone knows which one is theirs.
    Even though the flannels dont actually dry, I have never noticed them smelling. They get swapped over about every 3 or 4 days, washed at 60, dried in the sun when possible or over a radiator in winter.
    I have some older flannels in a drawer that can be used for 'other' washing, but they must go straight in the wash after this kind of thing.
    We dont share towels or flannels, because when my daughter was young she got impetigo at school, and then we all got it from the towels, so now there is one each, at all times, on personal pegs or rails.

Liquid or powder- I use washing liquid for cooler/not that dirty washes, and have some powder for hot washes. Liquid goes in the drawer or the drum, powder goes in the drum before the washing. I dont use very much of either. I do it this way because the powder I use leaves whiteness on clothes if I put it through a cooler wash.
    I use vinegar instead of conditioner, and clothes never smell, and stuff seems to come out feeling drier.

I do variations of a rinse, a 30 degree or a 60 degree wash, depending on how dirty things are. I generally know whats been worn for 5 seconds and just needs refreshing, and what really needs a hotter wash. I hardly ever use the 90 wash because I hate the waiting!
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dad uses flannels, he wrings them and they dry over a bath rack. twice a week I put them throo the wash. never been smelly.
    I think if you leave them damp it's when they get a little smelly
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport