Age Concern Life Book - Free

Options
JueJue_2
JueJue_2 Posts: 115 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 6 November 2012 at 5:56PM in Freebies (low spend)
If this is in the wrong place, then I apologise, and can some-one put it in the right place for me.

Age Concern has come up with a little book called a "Life Book".
The aim of the Life Book is to enable you to record important information about your life, without having to sort through piles and piles of paperwork.
For example, where do you keep your will, which electricity supplier do you use, where do you keep all the paperwork relating to your car, where are all your important documents such as birth and marriage certificates.
This little book will help keep all your important affairs in order, in a step-by-step process.
It has six sections Personal details, Life contacts, Financial, Documents, Possessions and Final Wishes.

To get hold of one of these little books.

1. Call 0845 685 1061 and quote LFB004

2. visit www.ageconcern.org.uk/lifebook

3. Or call into any Age Concern Office and ask for a LifeBook

Official MoneySavingExpert insert: Age UK's confirmed local branches should have sufficient stock. Otherwise, if there isn't one near you or it's run out, you can call 0845 685 1061 (charged at local rate) to get the book within a couple of days. Thanks to JueJue for posting.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• pamel
    Options
    I have seen these but one thing concerned me:
    If too much information about bank accounts is put into the book then the book is left lying around there is a risk of it getting into the wrong hands.

Same issue with passwords - how do you make the info available to anyone with a genuine need if anything happens to you without leaving them accessible to others?
  • Gizasmum
    Gizasmum Posts: 257 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This document is also available in Word format so you can download to your PC and password protect it. However it is not available to download from the website. I tried emailing Age UK Scotland and they said they didn't have the link to send me, but they did contact someone within their organisation who then sent it on. The website says you must phone them for it. Why they can't just provide a link is beyond me.
  • altojack
    altojack Posts: 9,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think I'd be wary about using something like this because of so much sensitive info all laid out in one place tbh.

I'm not convinced about having it in Word either, if it is password protected and the owner passes away how easy would it be to gain access. As far as I can see this would stay hidden from the people who would need to sort out the estate of the dead person. Or have I got this all wrong :cool:
    There's no place like home :)

Feeling down? Weak in body? Makes no difference to me, I think of you all when I'm sitting quietly.

Hugs and healing thoughts are always going your way.
  • Gizasmum
    Gizasmum Posts: 257 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I suppose your password could always be lodged with the solicitor as part of your will, just an idea.

I think the main idea of the Lifebook is that the family of those people who perhaps deal with all the finances etc are made aware of its existence. You would only tell people of its location or password on a need to know basis.

For example, my husband is completely in the dark about finances because I have always dealt with this. He doesn't have a clue who we're insured with, what our bank account numbers are, etc. The thought of leaving him to have find out this info whilst in mourning just fills me with dread. Whereas he knows that the info is contained in the Lifebook and knows its password. No one else knows because they don't need to.
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kteirvine wrote: »
    This document is also available in Word format so you can download to your PC and password protect it. However it is not available to download from the website. I tried emailing Age UK Scotland and they said they didn't have the link to send me, but they did contact someone within their organisation who then sent it on. The website says you must phone them for it. Why they can't just provide a link is beyond me.

I totally agree.

In this day and age it is very frustrating!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure