Is Parcel Carrier Insurance a rip-off?

Options
I'm new to this so be patient, here goes.
I recently had a computer returned to me by a friend using a postal carrier.
When I received it, it was damaged. The carrier claims that only the sender can claim and the compensation limit was £150 - the computer value was about £300 - £350.
Having done some research, I found that the Supply of Goods and Services Act (1982) states that I an entitled to expect the service to be provided "with reasonable care and skill". The package was clearly marked fragile and the carrier also applied a "Fragile" label of their own
Forthermore, the Transport of goods by Road Act (1965) states that
" the carrier shall be liable for the amount by which the goods have diminished in value, calculated by
reference to the value of the goods fixed in accordance with article 23, para 1,2 & 4",
where the relevant para is
"When under the provisions of this convention, a carrier is liable for compensation in respect of total or partial loss of goods, such compensation shall be calculated by reference to the value of the goods at the place and time at which they were accepted for carriage"

There are other relevant sections but the guts of it is that, as I understand the laws, I am entitled to compensation to the loss in value of the goods rather than to the limit of the compensation, irrespective of whether the sender purchased enhanced compensation.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Does the limit of compensation fall foul of the Unfair terms in consumer contracts Regulations (1977)?

I am in the process of taking this through the courts. If this is successful, does this mean that anyone who payed for enhanced compensation is entitled to a refund and any claimant whose compensation was limited by the term in the contract is entitled to re-claim for the balance to the value of the goods damaged/ lost?
Any thoughts?

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport