PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Home Made Beef Noodles - Bargain

First of all, let me apologise if this is not the correct place for this type of posting. Please move as required.

Secondly, i really wanted to share this little receipe. I tend to go for a food shop about once a month, spending no more than £30-£40. I'm a great beleiver in using every little bit you can find, and when it comes to the end of the month i dig out what is left in the cupboard, go to the bbc food website and randomly type in ingredients until i can find something that i can make.

Its great as i get to try great new dishes as well as use up all my left overs. One great receipe i found was Beef noodles. I bought a pack of those economy steaks you see on the tesco adverts on TV, and everything else is pretty much cupboard stuff, flour, eggs etc.

Give it a go and let me know what you think? I enjoyed making the noodles that much that my partner has bought me a pasta making machine for xmas (i've been given it as an early present, mainly so i could cook this at the weekend).

You will find the recipe Here
Total Debt as of Sep 06 - £22 978 :eek:

1st Milestone - Pay off HSBC CC £535.00 to go.

Debt Free Date - Feb 2009 :j

Comments

• Looks great, I've got half a frozen steak lurking somewhere in the ice crystals of my freezer!
  • nabowla
    nabowla Posts: 567 Forumite
    This is a great recipe. I imagine that the noodles can be served with whatever you happen to have left over in the fridge or freezer - chicken or prawns would probably work well. I might just have to try this out at the weekend!
  • Standing in the kitchen making a curry sauce from scratch, was thinking about the beef noodles when it suddenly dawned on me you said you spent £30 40 a month :eek:

How do you do it and is that for 2 people?

Please pass on some more of your tips, if I could double that for four people I would still be cutting my grocery budget in half! :xmassmile
  • Trout69
    Trout69 Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Standing in the kitchen making a curry sauce from scratch, was thinking about the beef noodles when it suddenly dawned on me you said you spent £30 40 a month :eek:

How do you do it and is that for 2 people?

Please pass on some more of your tips, if I could double that for four people I would still be cutting my grocery budget in half! :xmassmile

Hahaha completely by accident really....its purely cooking for myself, and as i dont really buy any ready meals i find it quite easy.

My main expenditures are meat, i buy a bag of frozen chicken breasts, and a bag of frozen mince. Then 2 pieces of the Tesco's value steak. I figured that if i cook the meat correctly i really cant tell the difference between the fresh stuff. Even the chicken is tender...

I obviously have to spend more when my washing powder and stuff runs out, but i try and take advantages of offers on the big boxes, i know a few weeks back MAKRO had a BOGOF offer on them. Then i just buy things like frozen veg, sandwich fillings, squash....etc...and it normally works out to around £40 a month.

Its amazing what i find to make actually, i rarely buy sauces in jars as i prefer to make them. I also make my own pizza's which cost practically nothing (tin of chopped toms, herbs, cheese, flour, oil and water)...i see money saving as a problem solving experience really...so each thing is a new challenge.

Its all good fun in the end i guess (or will be when i clear my debts, but then what will my challenge be?)

Donna :santa2:

• Cheers, when the weather is miserbale and i don't feel like going shopping its amazing what meals can emerge! I was given a few kilos of onions so using a recipe of here i made a curry sauce and have plenty to freeze now as well!
    I think it may be bacon pudding tonight as I found a pack lurking in the freezer or a pizza, the breadmaker does great dough!
  • Trout69
    Trout69 Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was considering a breadmaker, but my budget wont stretch that far at the moment, and as i'm currently lodging at a friends....i'm struggling for space in the kitchen to place all my gadgets!

I've got a great and quick prawn, tomato and pasta recipe somewhere. I'll try dig it out later, as its so quick to make....just the amount of time it takes to cook the spagetti, great if your short on time but don't want to eat snack food....

• That'd be great. Thanks!
    I bought my breadmaker in the after xmas sales a couple of years ago in tesco, its fab.
    Makes great pizza dough, makes a huge one for tea and they all eat the cold one the following day in lunchboxes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure