🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Donating unused medicines

Options
My husband was on hospice for a short period of time before he died and I literally have thousands of dollars in unsed medicine that I can't give back but it kills me to throw away. Are there any organizations that ship these medicines off to third world countires to they can use some of it?

Comments

• farso
    farso Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure that its legal, you could always go to the bad parts of town and sell them? ;)
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    this was discussed one morning on BBC, it is illegal to do this and the drugs cannot be either taken or snet abroad. One lady had thousands of pounds of Cancer drugs when her husband died and they had to be destroyed. Dr Rosemary (of the BBC) said that if doctors did this they wld be struck off
    Because of dosage etc they could only be issued by a doctor but like i say he/she would be struck off. Yes it is a disgusting waste
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • hayden
    hayden Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    I saw message on Freecycle in my area -lady requesting unused medication for expats in africa. I thought that it's a good idea -I didn't know it's illegal. Then I considered a report about people doing this just to sell via the internet. I think she's genuine but most requests apparently aren't. One of the reasons why its illegal rather than unethical?
    may you live in interesting times
  • Violetta_2
    Violetta_2 Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    See this thread for some information
    Booo!!!
  • Dustykitten
    Dustykitten Posts: 16,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ebyron - I'm sorry I can't help with any info but wanted to send you my love and strength - it is so kind that you are thinking of others when you must be grieving yourself
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family