PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Rice pudding question

Options

Comments

• Beccah_3
    Beccah_3 Posts: 213 Forumite
    Options
    Good idea! though if you do it in a slow cooker it'll be ready for you to have some for your brekkie!!! (no yukky skin)

I should hang my head in shame and admit that I don't yet have a slow cooker!!! Inherited tons of cast iron casserol dishes so tend to slow cook in those in a low oven.
    Sanity is the playground of the unimaginative!

• noonesperfect
    Options
    I should keep keep going as you are. No point in buying a slow cooker for the sake of it.

I tend to put a blob of whatever marge/butter I have (Flora Buttery at the moment) and a good helping of freshly grated nutmeg.

It freezes well too. I usually make this quantity - 1 litre milk, 100g pudding rice, 70g sugar, blob of butter, plenty of nutmeg.

Enough for 4 good servings.
    :wave:
  • gravitytolls
    gravitytolls Posts: 13,558 Forumite
    Options
    Can you not slow cook it, then pop it in the oven for 20 mins to skin?

I don't have a slow cooker, so always oven coook rice pudding. We love it.

Do slow cookers not use much leccy then? Wouldn't a pressure cooker be more cost effective as everything cooks quickly?
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can you not slow cook it, then pop it in the oven for 20 mins to skin?

My thoughts, exactly :D
    I don't have a slow cooker, so always oven coook rice pudding. We love it.

Do slow cookers not use much leccy then? Wouldn't a pressure cooker be more cost effective as everything cooks quickly?

I remain unconvinced about SCs. The output per hour is low - but then you tend to have them on for four, five, six or more hours. If they are more economical, then I think it's more marginal than people imagine.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • noonesperfect
    Options
    I usually zap the milk so that it doesn't take so long in the slow cooker!

I don't possess a pressure cooker. I did have one years ago but was a bit scared of it!! (The top went years ago, but i boil hankies in the pan if one of us has a cold!!)

I'll try the slow cooker/followed by 20-30mins in the oven. I wasn't sure how long it would take to form a good skin.

BTW -for anyone who is missing Cremola milk pudding I have found a recipe which replicates it.....
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    The top went years ago, but i boil hankies in the pan if one of us has a cold

Just a little TMI, methinks ;)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • noonesperfect
    Options
    Why TMI pray?

My late Mum used to boil all whites on top of the stove every Monday when I was a child - the smell of hot Persil takes me back 40+ years !!! Hankies or Dad's pants & vests (LOL)

Nothing wrong with that, it makes whites whiter and kills the germs (hankies not pants :rolleyes: ).
  • Beccah_3
    Beccah_3 Posts: 213 Forumite
    Options
    Why TMI?

My late Mum used to boil all whites on top of the stove every Monday when I was a child - the smell of hot Persil takes me back 40+ years !!! Hankies or Dad's pants & vests (LOL)

Nothing wrong with that, it makes whites whiter and kills the germs (hankies not pants :rolleyes: ).

Perhaps I should say it's TMI telling us you're peri-menopausal......

My mum was the same, she always used to boil her tea-towels on the stove in the bottom of an old pressure cooker. Aawww fond memories of stirring it all around with a wooden spoon.
    Sanity is the playground of the unimaginative!

• Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    I'm afraid I cheat, I boil the rice in milk for 20 mins to start it off then I mix in sugar to taste put it in a dish with dobs of butter and plenty nutmeg then pop it in oven for 30 mins and it tastes like it has been done in the oven for 2 hours
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Princess_kate
    Options
    I havent made rice pudding for ages, but I did once make it on the hob, more like a risotto with a can of coconut milk. mmmmmm it was delish!!!
    Problem with living on my own is it always seems a lot of effort to do these things just for me. I'll have to get the girls round & then I have an excuse!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure