Cheapest Way Of Heating Your Home?

Options
We don't have access to Pheonix Gas, so the options are, Oil, Coal or electric heaters.

I have really last heart in using oil, It is doing no time at all and we have the thermostat turned down and its actually only on 30 mins per day but it still lasts no time.

Coal, is it any cheaper than oil? We don't have a back boiler so it would only heat the living room.

And electric heaters, The will look a bit daft I know, but I saw some in Argos that cost only 1p per hour to run which isn't bad,

Opinions very much appreciated.

Comments

• carlamagee
    carlamagee Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Options
    we have currently had no oil for about 3 months - didnt worry about it for the while over "summer", but on the cooler nights more recently, we put the fire (also only heats the living room), with an electric heater on in my daughters room.

our heater is quite old, and not 100% sure about the electric consumption, but i noticed an increase on my electricity meter while using it!

Altogether, from about 6pm - about 10pm, we used approx one bag of coal, which at our local garge costs 7.50. on top of that you need firelighters. you can also purchase logs which doesnt use as much coal to keeo fire blazing.

Needless to say, we have just purchased oil .... you cant beat heating at the flick of a switch!! (when there is oil in the tank that is! lol)
    Carla-Farla!! :)

Mummy to Katie (27.11.07) and Christopher (05.08.09) ♥♥
  • pmg7754
    Options
    no problem put in back boiler at the cost off 1000 it would pay for itself in months:j
  • nirelandguy, this might be slightly obvious but worht saying as in all thing mechanical it often pays to get your oil burner serviced regularly (once a year) it may help your oil consumption. Also check to see if your loft is insulated you may be able to get a grant through the NIHE although i have no experience of this
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure