October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 103.7K views

Replies

• Morning everyone - I've updated my spends for October already, looks like I've spent a lot but in my defence I can say that both Freezers are bulging, I defy anyone to cram anything else in there and cupboards are full to bursting with lentils, split peas, flour, bread flour, sugar, tins etc etc.:D

I have pretty much meal planned until the end of the month, left a couple of gaps as I do like to experiment by making something that we've never had before, this is working as DD2 is now a fan of Curry and she used to hate the stuff, this is also going to make life easier for me. ;)

Dinner tonight will be a Stir fry, bought one of those Turkey Leg things for £1.27, huge amount of meat on it so disguising it in the stir fry and no-one will be any the wiser.:D Pudding will be Eve's Pudding - yes still using up apples from the tree.:rotfl:

Have a good day everyone and welcome to all the Newbies and good luck.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• Lucifa73Lucifa73 Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Put me down for £200 againthis month.

I've already spent about £50 but I have made 3 ragu bases and 3 lots of stew (all double portions) and a huge vat of roasted butternut and carrot soup so off to a flying start. HUbbles is away for 10 days as well which will help but I think any savings made will go on stocking up so I can bank meals for when Bean first arrives and maybe get some Xmas stuff too.

Good luck to everyone for the month ahead.

Luc xxx
    26.2.19/14.1.19: T MC 3629.26/3629.26 : VM 0% 1050/13876.59 : W 0% 100/1485 = 4409.26/18990.85 =25.17%
    28.1.19/28.1.19 Hubs 0% £400/£2,977 =13.44%
    SPC 2019 #073

• gtxgtx Forumite
    305 Posts
    booklover wrote: »
    Hello again

Sorry to be nuisance but what does everyone's target include?

For example, mine includes milk, fruit, veg, meat, cleaning stuff but not toiletries and Does Not include alcohol or magazines .

Many thanks again for doing this.. :A

Fiona
    hi - mine includes everything except petrol and days out - not that we have many of them - its for 2 adults and 2 teenagers. i've found doing a 'main' shop in nettos and the tips for white vinegar, oats and lentils to be the biggest help in reducing what we spend - the money i used to waste on cleaning products:o and a 500g bag of mince now makes 16 meals instead of 4:T :T

HTH

DFW#1062 :idea: LBM Aug 08 - :eek: DFD JUN '22
  • I am ready to declare September at £349.20. Will do better next in October.:rolleyes:
    First Direct Loan @ 7.9% £13,076.03/£20,250
    Mint CC @ 18.9% £3030.29/£3100 Virgin CC @ 34.9% £651.46/£2700 Tesco CC @ 0% 1366/1500

Proud to be dealing with my debts :D - Official DFW Nerd No. 250
  • tirlittantirlittan Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    booklover wrote: »
    Hello again

For example, mine includes milk, fruit, veg, meat, cleaning stuff but not toiletries and Does Not include alcohol or magazines .

Many thanks again for doing this.. :A

Fiona

This is my first month doing the grocery challenge. Though I'm only one person, I manage to spend between £100-£200 a month for food (snacks,takeaways and meals out included), toiletries and cleaning/other household stuff. But for October's challenge I'm gonna plunge in and include all food except dinners out (snacks included), toiletries and cleaning/other household stuff in my £100 target. Will be a big challenge for me to come on target. Only doing it till 29.10 though as on holiday after that.
    DEBT FREE OCTOBER 2012!
    Proud to have dealt with my debts!
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by booklover
    Hello again

Many thanks again for doing this..

Fiona

Hi Fiona
    Mine includes food,drink, pet food, poultry food,magazines, cleaning products and toiletries for two adults, cat, dog, three chickens,and all the numerous other people that choose to spend time with us. Does not include eating out, special treats, or food while traveling.
    Cheers
    Jennie
  • Chaos_Theory_3Chaos_Theory_3 Forumite
    212 Posts
    ✭✭
    Mine only includes food. I have enough household items that I won't need to buy them. I haven't included magazines, alcohol, husband's cigarettes, son's lunch money at college or pet foods. Having seen how long this month is I'm glad I have just included food! We usually spend about £400-£450 each month so £350 is a real drop for us. Hoping that I can get himself on board as he does a lot of the 'extras' shopping on his way home from work, because he finishes at lunchtime and I don't finish until somewhere between 5 and 9. he has a habit of going to Tesco for milk and bread and spending £25 on frozen food and special offers that are items none of us like!
    I saw two shooting stars last night
    I wished on them, but they were only satellites
    It's wrong to wish on space hardware
    I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care
  • Chaos_Theory_3Chaos_Theory_3 Forumite
    212 Posts
    ✭✭
    cw18 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing earlier today, but then decided it would take MrsM hours to do that. I notice a few people have the info in their sigs or mention family info when they announce their target -- so was debating going back and noting a few down just out of interest to see how different people with similar family set-ups compare ;)

(Mine's me, hubby, and 17 year old son -- but for food only as this is the specific area I'm trying to watch at the moment.)

cw18, I'll be watching your progress closely for hints and tips as our household is me, hubby and a 17yo son! I'm also just counting food.
    I saw two shooting stars last night
    I wished on them, but they were only satellites
    It's wrong to wish on space hardware
    I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care
  • OrkneyStarOrkneyStar Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all.
    Ok, I said I was not going to post again but wanted to write something in response to the person who was asking what we include and what everyone else includes :).
    Basically I have it in the signature at the end, but this is purely for information. Thankfully we don't smoke or drink so no money needed to be found for that. I have sep budgets for things like fuel, DS things, holidays, emergency travel (we live far from some family) that I also count on a spreadsheet, but not on MSE. I think it is very difficult to compare what people with apparently similar families are spending, and tbh not that productive. The whole aim is to reduce your spending by finding ways that work for you and your household. It is not a competition (thankfully :o).(Edited after reading CW18's later post- I have to agree that sometimes how much you have to budget makes a difference. We have a lower income now I am a SAHM and so are more restricted for what goes where, and if we want other things like holidays etc, food has to be carefully watched. I do like getting value for money too though ;)) We have reduced our waste a lot but it is difficult with DS as his appetite is up and down (will always eat bread, cheese, carrots, sweetcorn or raisins so I buy a lot of cheese lol)
    I could not compare my family to another with a baby the same age for many reasons (access to different shops, nappies or real nappies ?, vegetarian or meat eater ? etc etc).
    I would always say that counting your receipts for the first month, reducing a little for the second etc is a good place to start.
    Ok, this next bit was posted yesterday but deleted it and added on to this post, so don't worry if it seems familiar ;). Updated my sig as spent £3.10 in the Coop- quite good finds- got 2 packs of ham reduced to 50p from £1.99, 10 FR eggs reduced from £2.20 to £1.10 (display by 29/9 but use by not until 6/10 and eggs go for a bit after that too- well in our house anyway) and some potatoes for £1. Won't likely post on GC again for a bit as no spends planned, so good luck all in the meantime :T.
    x
    :heartpuls :heartpuls :heartpuls
  • morning all. Hope all are well. Have just paid £5 for dd snack money for this term and been to netto and spent £6.24. Did well in there i think, got some milk (6pts), spuds (5kg) and pasta sauce, these were all at full price. I also got some swede reduced that i will blanche and freeze for another time. Some leeks down to 50p and cabbage down to 37p. Also 4 packs of crumpets that were down to 25p per pack (have put these in the freezer)

Edit : have done my swede and have now got 4 decent sized bags in the freezer which i can add to stews or shepherds pies or even justed mashed. Feel really good about it lol. :)
    Wins in 2013 - Jan - Heinz No Noise Ketchup.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides