pensioner travelling to London

Options
I managed to get my mum and her friend (both in their eighties) 1p flights to London going out in a weeks time. Unfortunately mum found out today she has to go in for an eye operation on Tuesday and won't be allowed to fly for 3 weeks . They've already paid £85 for theatre tickets so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend another way to get to London without flying. My only experience is by Ulsterbus many years ago (I don't think they'd survive it!)
TIA
Rosie

Comments

• butterflymum
    Options
    No easy way. By rail may be a bit more comfortable than bus, but obviously longer journey and more expensive than the flights:

http://www.stenaline.co.uk/ferry/rail-and-sail/scotland/
    butterfly )i(
  • belfastgirl23
    Options
    I've done it by rail - ferry across to Stranraer, train to Carlisle (which is lovely, mostly empty trains except around Ayr and the views are beautiful!) and then change for a Virgin train to London. This latter part is the least nice bit, virgin trains can be a bit grim, although they do serve tea and coffee (check there is a working loo before participating though!)

It is a long journey but I found it pleasant enough. You can check national rail for train times and costs.

Let me know if you want further info.

Oh and PS there is no catering at all on the stranraer train so you should take water and food supplies with you - it's a very long time without anything!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure