Expat Canadian lady seeks sw/central Scotland property

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
4 replies 635 views
humanitashumanitas Forumite
36 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
Not sure if this is best place for this post but am sure mod will move if thought best.

My (recently widowed) friend in Canada has reached a crisis point in her life and is looking to return home to Scotland. To this end she intends visiting in November and is seeking a base (within 30 mins drive of Glasgow) to rent while looking at possible property purchases. Despite her "crisis" status she insists that she still needs her own space and therefor will not consider B&B, guest house or hotel. (I know! but she is very determined and independent). Can anyone help with suggestions/offers to cover this situation. Anything of help can be pm'd to me for forwarding on to her so that she can personally follow up.

A BIG ask I Know but any help really would be very much appreciated.

Replies

• nesssie1702nesssie1702 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    How long is she likely to be staying for?

Best bet is maybe to try the GSPC website as they do rental properties as well as property to buy.

If it's only for a short period of time, what about a self catering let. As it's winter time, she may be able to find something and do a deal on it for say 4 weeks - that way it comes fully furnished and has all the bits and bobs that she'd need, like crockery and bedding.

Another option would be to keep an eye on the local papers in the area, as people may advertise rentals in those?
  • How long is she likely to be staying for?

Best bet is maybe to try the GSPC website as they do rental properties as well as property to buy.

Another option would be to keep an eye on the local papers in the area, as people may advertise rentals in those?

Staying for the full month.

Thanks for GSPC site suggestion didn't realise they did rentals. Local papers difficult to access unfortunatley as council closed our local library and I don;t go into Glasgow all that often these days.
  • Angua2Angua2 Forumite
    673 Posts
    Hiya - don't want to be nosy, but if the crisis has to do with issues affecting women, Scottish Women's Aid might be able to help/advise/offer suggestions....

Or I might be able to help network...

Should make clear I'm not in Glasgow area, but further east
    Still waiting for Dyson to bring out a ride-on hoover...
    Memberships:
    Bad Alba Mothers Purchase Only Tanqueray
  • competitionscafecompetitionscafe Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gumtree also sometimes has short term lets, although there are only sites for Glasgow and Edinburgh, places in the borders, Stirling and in Fife do get posted there. http://edinburgh.gumtree.com/

Also try citylets.co.uk and lettingweb.com - you can search on both for short term lets..
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides