Questions!!

Options
Ok, have decided to take matters in hand because living with this stress is not funny!
Will sort SOA today sometime so you all can have a look and give me the benefit of your wisdom.
Just a couple of quickies-I really dont want to go bankrupt as dont want to lose the house but what if cccs say its better than a dmp.
Also, can i change electricity suppliers for better rate with present arrears?
Does going for a dmp then automatically prevent you from obtaining credit in the future if you are clear of debt? I am not thinking of jumping back into debt when we clear this it is just that i can envisage situations when you might need to pay for something in installments.
One other thing, we have a loan with welcome at £136 a month but last month could not pay it so cancelled dd. It was due out on 1st and we will be able to pay before months out due to pay but they managed to take it out on our debit card which we had once used about a year ago to pay them. I didnt think they could keep your card details and certainly not do this. It has put our overdraft over its limit at £5 a day charge and a £25 charge for going over. I have had new cards ordered so they cant do this again but can they do it in the first place?

Comments

• bank_of_slate
    Options
    Thanks kken, make sure you use the https://www.makesenseofcards.com/soacalc.html tool, format it for MSE and make sure your amounts and APRs are accurate
    ...Linda xx
    It's easy to give in to that negative voice that chants "cant do it" BUT we lift each other up.
    We dont count all the runners ahead of us & feel intimidated.
    Instead we look back proudly at our journey, our personal struggle & determination & remember that there are those that never even attempt to reach the starting line.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    kken wrote: »
    Just a couple of quickies-I really dont want to go bankrupt as dont want to lose the house but what if cccs say its better than a dmp.

You don't always lose the house. How much equity do you have?
    Does going for a dmp then automatically prevent you from obtaining credit in the future if you are clear of debt? I am not thinking of jumping back into debt when we clear this it is just that i can envisage situations when you might need to pay for something in installments.

The lenders will default you accounts and the record of that will stay for 6 years. After that your credit record should be clean. You would need to build a credit history again which can be tricky, but you won't be permanently excluded from credit.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Jvic28
    Jvic28 Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    Options
    can i change electricity suppliers for better rate with present arrears?

I changed suppliers with arrears. My arrears were sent to a DCA which is now on my DMP.

Does going for a dmp then automatically prevent you from obtaining credit in the future if you are clear of debt?

It will depend on your individualt circumstances but any history of late payments/defaults etc will stay on your credit file for 6 years so that will have an impact on your credit rating.
    DMP Mutual Support Thread Member No 190
    17/05/08 - Total on DMP: £10025.70
    07/05/14 - Total on DMP: £1666.20 DFD: July 2017!!
    Baby Tomos born 5th June 2009 - 6lb 5oz :j
    Weight Loss Target - to lose 60.8lb by NYE 2015 - 37.6lb TO GO
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family