PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Ancient Egyptian Sugaring Recipe

Well this is probably about as old style as it gets...apparently the Ancient Egyptians liked to be hair free all over so this thread isn't just for the ladies :eek:

Most people actually find sugaring less painful than waxing and this recipe is very cheap to make!

Here are the details if you'd like to have a go.

Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup of water
1/4 cup of lemon juice

Equipment:
Candy/candle making thermometer (available in cooking/craft shops)
1 medium-large heavy saucepan
1 small heatproof bowl / heatproof glass jar with lid for storage
1 ice lolly stick or blunt pallette knife
1" strips of cotton fabric (an old dishcloth or sheet would suffice, just make sure the cotton isn't too coarsely woven)
Talc

Method:
Combine the ingredients in the saucepan and warm over a low heat. Attach your candy thermometer to the inside of the pan. Heat gently until the mixture reaches 120C / 250F. Be careful, approaching this temperature the mixture may try to boil over so watch it like a hawk!
Once you reach 120C / 250F remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool until you can safely pour it into your jar/container.
Remember, this mixture gets hotter than boiling water so you must be VERY careful and keep children/pets/accident prone husbands out of the way whilst preparing it.
It is very important that you let the mixture cool enough before using so that you do not burn yourself!
Dust a little clean talc on your legs/area to be epilated, apply some of the sugaring mixture with your lolly stick/pallet knife, cover with a cloth strip, allow to set then rip off as fast as you can :eek:
You may want to get someone else to help you with the ripping off bit!

When finished, seal your leftover sugaring mixture as this can be reheated to a warm (NOT hot) temperature next time you need it. I suggest in the microwave or in a bain marie.

NB The mixture will thicken slightly each time it is reheated.
Debt 2007 £17k :(

Current Debt approx £7.5k :)

Target - to pay off all debts by 2020 :A

Comments

• squiggles
    squiggles Posts: 1,635 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    ouch :eek:

what were you searching for to come across this :rotfl:
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Eeeek! In my experience attempting to wax/sugar at home is messy, painful and takes ages. I'd rather pay to visit a salon!
  • Thanks for this! I've been using Nad's Hair Removal wax for a while now - it's fiddly, but cheaper than paying at the beauty salon. It's a very natural product - in fact probably the same ingredients. When I'm finished my tub I'll give this a go - I'll let you know how I get on!
    Are we still waiting to sing as hummingbirds?
  • if i wax my legs i always make my own sugaring mixture up. The tricky bit is washing thte sugar off the strips... it clings like glue, and i dont want to waste the fabrics by binning them
  • Ancasta - I'm the same, it's such a waste to bin the fabric strips. i've found that soaking them in really hot water works a treat. I then put them in the wash (but not with good clothes just in case). Then I can use them again and again!
    Are we still waiting to sing as hummingbirds?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure