Pipex High Speed Trials available to NI customers

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
8 replies 1.2K views
arkonite_babearkonite_babe Forumite
7.4K Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
I found this in my monthly Pipex newsletter and thought it might be useful to some of you. I have highlighted the NI areas available in red.
THE PIPEX HIGH SPEED BETA TRIAL

Following on from the successful Alpha Trial which occurred this summer, PIPEX will shortly be commencing the Beta Trial of high speed broadband services which may run at speeds up to 8Mb. This is scheduled to take place from 30th November 2005 until 30th March 2006.

With faster and faster broadband services becoming available, this is really a very exciting time for PIPEX customers. Most customers are currently on 1Mb or 2Mb services at the moment, but from next year PIPEX customers may be able to experience up to 4Mb, up to 8Mb or even up to an amazing 24Mb !

Interested? Then have a read about what the PIPEX High Speed Beta Trial could mean for you ... What are High Speed Broadband Services?

The majority of today's broadband services are called fixed rate services, for example 512Kb, 1Mb and 2Mb services, but the new services which are being trialled are rate adaptive services which mean that they maximise the potential of your telephone line, and run as fast as it can go at a particular point in time. The speed a line can run at will depend on lots of factors, but distance from the telephone exchange, the quality of the line and line conditions will play a big part. The first products to be trialled will be PIPEX Home Max and PIPEX Home Office Max. These are rate adaptive services which will run from 256Kb up to 8Mb downstream, and 64Kb up to 448Kb upstream.

Can I get on the High Speed Trial?

For some PIPEX customers there will definitely be an opportunity to participate in the High Speed Beta Trial. From 30th November 2005 the following 25 exchanges will be enabled for high speed broadband services, and over the course of the trial more will be added taking the total of enabled exchanges up to 53

Initial 25 enabled exchanges
  • Bangor (NI)
  • Helensburgh
  • Belfast Balmoral
  • Kensington Gardens
  • Belfast City
  • Kilmarnock
  • Chiswick
  • Langside
  • Connel
  • Llandaff
  • Dalmally
  • Llanishen
  • Earls Court
  • Lochgoilhead
  • East kilbride
  • Ochiltree
  • Glasgow Cambuslang
  • Radyr Glam
  • Greengairs
  • Rhoose
  • Harlesden
  • South Kensington
  • Harrow
  • St Ives (Cornwall)
  • West Kensington
For existing PIPEX customers on these enabled exchanges, those that qualify for the High Speed Beta Trial will be contacted with the details of the trial and invited to participate. As a trialist all you would need to do is use the service and feedback on your experiences – what the process of getting onto the service was like, whether the service was significantly faster, was it reliable and did it enable you or encourage you to do more things online e.g. downloading music, video etc?

If you have any comments about the PIPEX High Speed Beta Trial or want to let us know what you want from PIPEX high speed services, please email [email="broadbandtrial@pipex.net"][email protected][/email].
I hope someone finds this useful........ ;)

Replies

• D.A.D.A. Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Bear in mind that it's actually a BT trial, so Pipex aren't the only ISP taking part.
  • jndjnd Forumite
    453 Posts
    That's right. I'm with Plus.net and they are upgrading me at the minute.
  • BigAl94BigAl94 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Nildram are doing the same for me - due 13 December
  • jndjnd Forumite
    453 Posts
    Hopefully yours will be trouble free BigAl. Mines been done as of now and I can't connect. Plus.net have logged a fault with BT to follow up.
  • IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live in Bangor but, according to BT, I can not get anything more than 512Kb ... guess I am too far from the exchange.

ivan
    Don't waste time on other peoples first world problems
  • jndjnd Forumite
    453 Posts
    Is this where you checked Ivan? http://www.bt.com/btbroadband/ns_availability_check.jsp

Problem is these ISP's boast about their speeds but it's no use paying for a fast connection if BT can't get that speed down the line to you. It's a fine line anyway. My father who lives in Pinehill can't get anymore than 1Mb, brother off Ballycrochan no more than 512 and my father-in-law in Silverbirch 2Mb.
  • IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jnd wrote:
    Is this where you checked Ivan? http://www.bt.com/btbroadband/ns_availability_check.jsp

Problem is these ISP's boast about their speeds but it's no use paying for a fast connection if BT can't get that speed down the line to you. It's a fine line anyway. My father who lives in Pinehill can't get anymore than 1Mb, brother off Ballycrochan no more than 512 and my father-in-law in Silverbirch 2Mb.
    I checked directly on the Pipex site that retrieves information from the BT site (did a quick check using your link as well and it gives the same answer). I live between Ballycrochan and Silverbirch ... it seems strange than they can supply 2Mb to Silverbirch but not where we are (only a couple of hundred yards as the crow flies) ... maybe some day they will boost the line :confused:

Ivan
    Don't waste time on other peoples first world problems
  • BigAl94BigAl94 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I have been upgraded today and there is a noticeable increase in speed. I have done speed tests which have been very variable but have shown a peak of 8000kbps down and 1000kbps up but varies from about 3500kbps. I think the key words with any broadband speed are the words "up to"! I live on the Ballycrochan Road not far from Silverbirch and my line test also shows up to 1meg max but have been successfully using 2 meg for some time. It also varied depending on time of day. Distance from the exchange is clearly a factor but the difference is very noticeable.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

Incl M&S calendar release date

MSE Deals