'What’d you do in a burning building?' poll results/discussion

Options

Comments

• Reading statement at the start and options, its prompts you to answer run which I did, as the stastics are in favour of running.

I don't know what I would do in a real life situation, unless you have been in such a situation its impossiable to be sure what you would do.

I don't want to be a spoil sport but don't most cinemas now have sprinkler systems and other fire management/prevention measures? That could lead to people running becuase they don't want to get wet? Like people running out of the sea aboard when it rains?
  • Hooda_Thunkit
    Options
    I would remain calm and take charge of the situation. I would urge others also to remain calm, and to walk in an orderly fashion out of the nearest exit, and to gather outside in a safe place, while at the same time contacting the emergency services.
    Problem is, the other occupants of the cinema wouldn't have heard my instructions, as I'd have run LF out the door the minute I saw the flames, and would be remaining calm outside in complete safety!!:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • Maugam
    Options
    As has been pointed out this is simply a twist on 'Prisoner's Dilemma'. Since its impossible to predict what others are going to do then you are better off running.
  • Debt_Free_Dreamer
    Options
    I worked in a council office in the days of the 'Poll Tax'. We were on the top floor (of three) with the Poll Tax office being on the Ground and 1st Floors. It was in the days of bomb scares and trouble.

One particular day I was staring at my computer screen when someone ran into our office and ran round the office (there was a void in the middle where the floor below had a glass roof) shouting "Bomb". I ran out of the building leaving my bag, coat and everything behind.

The bomb squad came and the police shut the road. The suspect package was eventually blow up.

I would run, as fast as the people in front would allow....
    I want to be credit card and loan free by Christmas 2010
  • HaushinkaGreenDay
    Options
    I'd walk... but really, really fast.

More like a 'Dad run'. :D

Haushinka
    MoneySaving comes naturally; I was born in Yorkshire :D
  • buxtonrabbitgreen
    Options
    I answered run. I wanted to be truthful. I would like to think that I would walk and so would everyone else but I don't think it would happen.
    I work in a petrol station and know all the procedure for evacuation of staff and customers in the event of a fire but have wondered before now whether it would all go by the board and I would leg it before the explosion.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • Soubrette
    Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
    Options
    I'd be interested to know where the statistics for those running on aeroplanes more likely to survive.

I watched a documentary about surviving fires and the first rule is to keep your head, people who panic are more likely to run to the exit they came in, leaving firedoors unnoticed. Someone who doesn't panic should have noticed the fire exits within the auditorium and make their way calmly to them.

This documentary also had the sad tale of people who had perished because they had rushed and filled the revolving doors they had come in and both sides were pushing as hard as they could to get out - all died. I resolved there and then that if I were ever in that situation that I would start pushing the opposite way to out to get the bloody door moving.

The ones that are most likely to survive are those that have spent a minute or so noting the exits and thinking about what they would do in a fire (ie not go over to investigate - just leave through the nearest exit).

Sou
  • moredough
    Options
    There a few different options. Depending on how full the cinema is and the state of the fire.

If the fire had just started, like is stated in the first post, then would it not be sensible to grab an extinguisher. That's why they're there, right?

If the cinema was quite empty, and the fire had just started, but was too big to tackle with an extinguisher, then I would probably just walk to the nearest fire exit.

If the cinema was packed out and the fire was licking my a**e, then i would most certainly run, but in this day and age, surely the cinema would be required by law to have a decent smoke alarm system and adequate fire exits, which would give plenty of notice and allow everyone to get out safely anyway.
    ;)
  • KittaKatta
    Options
    I'd panic first, ergo I'd freeze (I stupidly always do that when in panic). This would, however, allow me to assess the situation I suppose, and see if everyone else is walking or running out. I think I would walk fast I guess. And I would make sure that the ones I love are safe.
  • sellingmysoul666
    Options
    i am a room checker at work - i have to report to the fire warden that everyone has left my section - so i would like to think i would walk making sure everyone else has left first :cool:
    "what lies behind us & what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" Ralph Waldo Emerson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure