Full and final settlement help thread

Options

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,553 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    lota1 wrote: »
    Hiya in middle of negotiating with Cabot for a F & F settlement but when I ask for amounts to be confirmed to me in writing they are pushing for confirmation by email and they want payment today (or willl be tomorrow as they are calling me back)

Is it okay to accept confirmation in an email or is there some trick they're playing. ..... feeling paranoid

Maybe they've got targets to meet by the end of the month. Whatever, the advice stands: don't part with cash until confirmed in writing. If they can send a letter on their letterhead, as a pdf attachment, I guess that's OK.
  • lota1
    lota1 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Fatbelly, I notice people talking abut Cca requests so I might look into that first as I took out these agreements before 2005
  • Balmain
    Balmain Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I sent a CCA request to Capital One for a CC taken out in 2003 and they have sent back a reconstituted copy of the original agreement. It has my signature on it but I'm not sure what other information it needs to have in order to be enforceable. Anybody know what I should be looking for?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
  • DavesDevil
    DavesDevil Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I am about to offer my first F&F - is the NEDCAB template letter ok to us or does it need some amendments? Many thanks.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,553 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Dear Sir/Madam
    Without Prejudice
    Account No: …………………………

I/we write with reference to the money which you are claiming on the above account.

I/we can confirm that I am / we are unable to offer to pay the money which I/we owe in full (add details of your circumstances and financial situation).

However, I/we can raise £ (put the amount which you can afford to pay) and I/we want to offer this as an ex-gratia payment in full and final settlement of the account.

This offer is made on the clear understanding that, if accepted, neither you nor any associate company will take any other action to enforce or pursue this debt in any way whatsoever and that I/we will be released from any liability.

I/we also request that, if accepted, you will make an entry on a credit reference agency file relating to the above account as having been paid and the account closed.

Payment can be made within (put the number of days or weeks within which you will pay) of receiving your written agreement of this offer and method of payment.

I/we look forward to receiving your reply.

Yours faithfully

It's fine.
  • DavesDevil
    DavesDevil Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    fatbelly wrote: »
    It's fine.

Thanks for your time Fatbelly :)
  • DrWatson1
    DrWatson1 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Balmain wrote: »
    I sent a CCA request to Capital One for a CC taken out in 2003 and they have sent back a reconstituted copy of the original agreement. It has my signature on it but I'm not sure what other information it needs to have in order to be enforceable. Anybody know what I should be looking for?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Try this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2777470
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    DrWatson1 wrote: »

After seeing your response to Balmain I looked at the thread you linked to but I'm still not sure what constitutes 'unenforceable':o. Sorry to be so dense.

One of my creditors sent me pages of Ts and Cs (the 'agreement') and an accompanying sheet which just contained the current balance on the account.

They did NOT send a copy, reconstituted or otherwise, of my application form for this card. Do they have to provide that for the debt to be enforceable? I realise that an applicant's signature doesn't have to be present.

Also, the accompanying letter says that what they have sent me fully complies with the CCA requirements but I still have my doubts:(. Any advice very welcome please.
  • DrWatson1
    DrWatson1 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    After seeing your response to Balmain I looked at the thread you linked to but I'm still not sure what constitutes 'unenforceable':o. Sorry to be so dense.

One of my creditors sent me pages of Ts and Cs (the 'agreement') and an accompanying sheet which just contained the current balance on the account.

I'm in the same boat as you making CCA requests. What they have sent you may or may not comply with this request, but unfortunately you're not going to be able to get that advice on the internet - you're going to have to get a debt solicitor to take a look if you want a definitive answer.

However, with reference to the link I posted, if it has the amount of credit, details about repayments, the rate of interest and the credit limit, then it's probably enforceable. If one of those is missing, it probably isn't.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,904 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    In a nutshell, a recon credit agreement is fine for any time period your account dates from.

For pre-April 2007 agreements, the prescribed terms must also be included, this requirement was abolished after this date.

Then there are other abnormalities that may also make it unenforceable, which can only be determined by someone legally trained.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback