Full and final settlement help thread

Options

Comments

• nextyeartina
    nextyeartina Posts: 756 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm after a little advice regarding f&f offers. I owe Capital One £319.76 and pay them £5 per month. I've offered them 55% of the debt which was turned down. Where do I go from here? The other debt I'm trying to settle is 1st Credit (Aqua card)?What's a good % to start with?

Tina x
    The £1,000 emergency fund challenge #163 - £536.16/£1000
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,553 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I'm after a little advice regarding f&f offers. I owe Capital One £319.76 and pay them £5 per month. I've offered them 55% of the debt which was turned down. Where do I go from here? The other debt I'm trying to settle is 1st Credit (Aqua card)?What's a good % to start with?

I guess if they would prefer to have £5 per month for 6 years, that's up to them. Personally I think it's a good offer. You could ask them what figure they are looking for, or just leave it a few months, then make the offer again.

1st credit probably bought their debt for 10-15%. Maybe start at 25%?
  • nextyeartina
    Options
    I phoned up Capital One today asking what f&f offer they would accept. They said £214.24 is the least they would accept, my credit file will be marked as partially satisfied and the rest of the debt can't be chased by either them or a third party. Does this sound ok?

Tina x
    The £1,000 emergency fund challenge #163 - £536.16/£1000
  • fatbelly
    Options
    Well they've moved from 100% to 67 % while you offered 55%. There isn't a lot of monetary difference between you - you might want to take up the offer.

However, make sure you receive their written confirmation before parting with any money as you will need something to keep for 6 years in case they or some agency decide to pursue you for the balance.
  • pip10
    pip10 Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    How long should one wait after sending a first full and final with no reply before sending a second letter? I know this might vary but just wanted a rough idea thanks
  • fatbelly
    Options
    pip10 wrote: »
    How long should one wait after sending a first full and final with no reply before sending a second letter? I know this might vary but just wanted a rough idea thanks

I give people 3 weeks
  • pip10
    Options
    Thanks and would you send the same offer or up it a bit. Started low at 25% ...
  • pip10
    Options
    Had some replies from a few companies. I started low around 25% with full and final offers

One has come back with a counter offer of around 60%
    Another has back with 80%
    Another with a ball back in your court kinda letter - won't accept but may accept a higher offer - they don't say how much though.

Any thoughts from experienced people as to my next step with each one? I could probably get around 50% together to settle at this stage but thought I'd start low after reading other advice on here.
  • Spoonhead88
    Spoonhead88 Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello,

Just a quick question at want point can I trigger the start of a full and final settlement negotiation with a lender? I've been on a DMP for 6 months. One of my lenders has just issued a default and I was wondering this is the point I start sending out offers? Should I wait till they sell the debt on? Are they any repercussions from doing it too early?

Thanks you lovely people
    DMP - JAN 2016
    [STRIKE]Estimated DFD - August 2018[/STRIKE] December 2016
    100% Paid
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,904 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hello,

Just a quick question at want point can I trigger the start of a full and final settlement negotiation with a lender? I've been on a DMP for 6 months. One of my lenders has just issued a default and I was wondering this is the point I start sending out offers? Should I wait till they sell the debt on? Are they any repercussions from doing it too early?

Thanks you lovely people

Difficult one to call, sometimes a creditor will accept a cheeky offer to clear an account, sometimes not.
    Defenetly works better with a DCA as they will of bought the debt for much less than its face value, and can afford to discount accordingly.

No harm in trying you luck though, they can only say no.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback