We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Full and final settlement help thread

Options

Comments

• Broken_hearted
    Broken_hearted Posts: 9,553 Forumite
    Options
    Well I pay full and finals for my OH the money comes out of my savings and I get everything as water tight as possible. I don't see my situation as a sham as I have no liability to his debts.
    Also what happens if you borrow money off a relative as most DCA's demand you do and then have to pay it back.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• sportbeth
    sportbeth Posts: 621 Forumite
    Options
    Morning everyone, just a little update from me after saying I was going to post some offers off the other day! Got my first response yesterday.

Original Debt - £629
    I offered - £250 (just under 30%)

They have come back and said they would accept £503. Now do I go with this or offer a lower figure? Was thinking £400.

Any comments gratefully appreciated!

Yep, definitely go back and give it another try. It's like selling a second hand car. They want to get £629 for it, you want to get it for £400. Tell them you can go to £350 at a push. Don't forget that they probably paid about 10p in the £ for it so they're quids in already
  • tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Toto wrote:
    And I would far rather live in a world full of Metropolitan Anthonys than a world of narrow minded bigoted 'I’m all right Jacks'

And me. What a world it would be if everyone was so puritanical and uncompassionate - not one I'd like to live in, that's for sure.

Well, I'm not going to dignify 'neverpayinterest' and his comments with any other responses - it seems to me he's just trying to stoke up bad feeling and provoke a row.
  • elaine2303
    elaine2303 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys. Reading through the thread I've just come across a reference to reclaiming excess bank charges, extremely fortuatous as I'm literally about to go and see my new account manager for stealing some £300 from me in the last two months by transfering monies between my business accounts and my personal account without telling me. This means I'm drawing on funds that they've moved and therefore aren't there. They've then had the ordacity to charge me for unpaid cheques and abuse of my cash card! I don't think so! I'd like to go in armed with a little more than my absolute fury and indignation at this situation they've created as this guy is new and I've never met him before! He's going to have a REALLY bad Friday afternoon.......
    Can anyone tell me where the info about reclaiming excess bank charges is posted so that I can present that along with my bank statements?
    Thanks
    E

Interesting Facts - An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain. (I know some people like that.) :confused:
    Starfish have no brains. (I know some people like that too.) :rotfl:

:hello: elaine 2303
  • Weggy
    Weggy Posts: 462 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    elaine2303 wrote:
    Hi guys. Reading through the thread I've just come across a reference to reclaiming excess bank charges, extremely fortuatous as I'm literally about to go and see my new account manager for stealing some £300 from me in the last two months by transfering monies between my business accounts and my personal account without telling me. This means I'm drawing on funds that they've moved and therefore aren't there. They've then had the ordacity to charge me for unpaid cheques and abuse of my cash card! I don't think so! I'd like to go in armed with a little more than my absolute fury and indignation at this situation they've created as this guy is new and I've never met him before! He's going to have a REALLY bad Friday afternoon.......
    Can anyone tell me where the info about reclaiming excess bank charges is posted so that I can present that along with my bank statements?
    Thanks
    E

Best to do a search for it - loads of info on claiming back bank charges on both this website, and http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/
  • Weggy
    Options
    Morning everyone, just a little update from me after saying I was going to post some offers off the other day! Got my first response yesterday.

Original Debt - £629
    I offered - £250 (just under 30%)

They have come back and said they would accept £503. Now do I go with this or offer a lower figure? Was thinking £400.

Any comments gratefully appreciated!

Keep plugging away! By offering a lower settlement, they've already shown to you that they're prepared to accept something lower than 100%.....
  • neverpayinterest
    Options
    Everybody picks up the tab in one way or another. Higher interest rates for those that choose to pay it, higher bank charges for those that choose to pay them etc etc.

I would like to think that my postings are representative of what decent, honest and reliable people (many of whom are ignorant of what some people are getting away with to their cost) might think.
    :mad: Interest should be a FOUR letter word.
  • Broken_hearted
    Broken_hearted Posts: 9,553 Forumite
    Options
    Everybody picks up the tab in one way or another. Higher interest rates for those that choose to pay it, higher bank charges for those that choose to pay them etc etc.

I would like to think that my postings are representative of what decent, honest and reliable people (many of whom are ignorant of what some people are getting away with to their cost) might think.
    Well if you don't take out credit cards or loans, and don't spend go into an unotherised O/D. Then you choose not to pay for other peoples problems. If the banks helped people when they needed it they would get their money back.
    I choose not to pay the full amount back because the DCA's choose to settle. I choose not to pay higher interest rates because I choose not to take on any more debt. Now I choose to ignor you!
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• Weggy
    Options

But you've already admitted that you stooze and dont pay interest, so you clearly don't pick up anyone's tab.....

Now run along, there's a good lad.
  • Toto
    Toto Posts: 6,680 Forumite
    Options

http://www.thesun.co.uk/

Go and form some new opinions!
    :A
    :A
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback