What to do if you've been affected by the XL collapse

17810121338

Replies

  • has anyone been succesful in getting a visa debit card charge back, even if they booked through a travel agent? for xl going bust. i am trying this avenue first and would appriciate anyone elses experience

    thanks
  • moonrakerzmoonrakerz Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    donnalove wrote: »
    has anyone been succesful in getting a visa debit card charge back, even if they booked through a travel agent? for xl going bust. i am trying this avenue first and would appriciate anyone elses experience

    thanks

    I don't want to depress you but I don't believe that a "debit card chargeback" will be successful.

    I believe that this will only apply if the supplier your have directed the "chargeback" at is still trading and has funds in his bank account. If he has gone bust this is very unlikely.

    Like you - I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has got money back on a debit card chargeback. I have asked this question on several other threads on this site - responses have reached a nice round number - zero !
  • moonrakerz wrote: »
    I don't want to depress you but I don't believe that a "debit card chargeback" will be successful.

    I believe that this will only apply if the supplier your have directed the "chargeback" at is still trading and has funds in his bank account. If he has gone bust this is very unlikely.

    Like you - I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has got money back on a debit card chargeback. I have asked this question on several other threads on this site - responses have reached a nice round number - zero !

    I have had a full credit back to my account from Cahoot whilst the my XL debit card chargeback investigation investigated. I suppose I can just swap bank accounts now before the investigation is completed ;)
  • I got my money back today on my Egg card which Im pretty impressed about as I wasnt due to go until the 29th Oct so thought Id have to wait until then
  • gazza t,

    I have applied to my credit card company as i believe it'll be quicker to get the money that way - we can claim through our credit card company under section 75 of the ccc and they have a responsibility to refund the money as we did not get the services we paid for.

    I hope this is true as I am going down that route too...

    perservere - and pursue this

    BTW - which credit card is it???
  • salducksalduck Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys,
    Some advice for a friend please
    she is in egypt at the moment booked flights with a travel agent who used their credit card to book through freedom flights.com.
    she is not due to travel back until 17th october and has been advised to contact caa this week is this correct?? will she be able to get a flight back? does she have to pay for it??
    tia
    x
    Long time lurker- Sometimes poster! Always interested to read and hear others opinions!
    Joined Slimming world 4/2/15
  • bagand96bagand96 Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    This from the CAA website:
    Customers still in resort Customers who are abroad should make their own arrangements for a return flights back to the UK and claim back the cost of this. Advice is available at overseas airports from Thomson/First Choice Holidays and Thomas Cook. If you are experiencing difficulties while abroad, please telephone our emergency number : +44 (0) 2891 856547.
    The CAA organised rescue flights have ended now. These were generally for the two weeks following the collapse as that is when the vast majority of people needed bringing home (most people on 7/14 night holidays), so that is where the demand was for extra flights.
    I guess now the number of people still abroad is fairly small, and they will be able to get seats on other flights. It seems your friend will have to purchase seats on another flight, although the CAA will refund this in due course as they are ATOL protected.
  • bowlesbargainbowlesbargain Forumite
    210 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Dear all

    I sent off the papers to the CAA the Saturday after XL went bust. I sent it by recorded delivery but all that tells me that it was delivered to the sorting office. has anyone had any reply from the CAA do they send you anything. I am aware that it could take months but i just want to make sure they have recieved the paperwork. Can anyone help!!!

    Thanks
  • Tony69Tony69 Forumite
    422 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    We were due to begin our holiday this Saturday 11th October booked thorugh XL Holidays but should we have been contacted in someway that the holiday is cancelled. We have another holiday booked now, but would have thought that we would have received official notice of some sort or am I expecting too much.

    Ta
    never chew the umbilical cord!!
  • ScudlinkScudlink Forumite
    833 Posts
    Tony69 wrote: »
    We were due to begin our holiday this Saturday 11th October booked thorugh XL Holidays but should we have been contacted in someway that the holiday is cancelled. We have another holiday booked now, but would have thought that we would have received official notice of some sort or am I expecting too much.

    Ta

    Isn't the ATOL crisis management letter the offical notice that XL have ceased trading?

    Also the notice on XL's site http://www.travelcitydirect.com/CustomerInformation.htm confirms "all flights operated by the Companies have been immediately cancelled and the aircraft grounded"
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Alexa, tell me some top tips

How can this Forumite maximise their smart speaker?

Join the Forum discussion

State pension shortfalls for women

MPs call it a 'shameful shambles'

MSE News