New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Ultimate old styling????

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
13 replies 8.4K views
berthabertha Forumite
212 posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
To bring back memories and to track down old style products
www.carbolicsoap.com
Not just carbolic soap but Reckitt's Blue, wash boards, Pickles ointment, dolly pegs, fly papers and much, much more!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Replies

• I love the smell of Pears soap, but it dries my skin. Wright's Coal Tar Soap, Lifebouy, reckits blue - ahh, memories!

With the soap it is mainly the smell!
  • DawnWDawnW Forumite
    6.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still use flypapers. Sprays, chemicals etc are bad for my asthma. Loads of people I know use them. They don't look very nice but must be less polluting.

• FrugaldomFrugaldom Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just learned something new, thank you! My 'clothes pulley' is known as a 'Sheila Maid' and that I can buy carbolic soap online - excellent! Poultry & bird keepers bookmark that carbolic soap site, as I was always told to use this to prevent/cure scaley mite. (This may be an old wives' tale but it seems to work and I know some budgie breeders that swear by it.)
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise! :D
  • oliveoyloliveoyl Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    What a brilliant little website... I might have to order a couple of bits... if you OS lot have left me anything!
    TOP MONEYSAVING TIP

Make your own Pot Noodles using a flower pot, sawdust and some old shoe laces. Pour in boiling water, stir then allow to stand for two minutes before taking one mouthful, and throwing away. Just like the real thing!
  • Thanks bertha for finding this I'll definitely be ordering a few bits as xmas presents ( and for myself!).

And thanks to oliveoyl for the pot noodle tip :rotfl: I've always said the tub is probably more tasty !
  • ecoeco Forumite
    1.1K posts
    I used to hate that school toilet paper, or tracing paper as it should be called.
  • zarazarazarazara Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    2.3K posts
    newspaper squares for toilet paper. tin bath infront of the fire once a week.no fridge. no freezer. beef dripping butties for monday tea.
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
  • my free newspapers goes straight in the recycle bin, occasioanly have a quick read, i'm now thinking of cutting them up for loo roll, maybe just keep a couple of standard rolls for guests. anyone else do this? must save 50 p (one roll) a week i reckon, £26 a year.
  • >>>"my free newspapers goes straight in the recycle bin, occasioanly have a quick read, i'm now thinking of cutting them up for loo roll, maybe just keep a couple of standard rolls for guests. anyone else do this? must save 50 p (one roll) a week i reckon, £26 a year."<<<

You have got to be joking!!!?
  • I have been known to rip up a newspaper if we run out or loo roll on occasion.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde