Any tips 4 Fife

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
28 replies 2.8K views
FGZstarFGZstar Forumite
32 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
Do you have any tips for cheap attractions and travel in & around Fife.

Here's one to get you started.....

...If u r young enough to pay a childs fair & own a young fifstyle card, you can get travell all over fife on Stagecoach for £1.50!!!!!!!!!
Sometimes I feel I'd be better off dead, no, not me, U...... :eek:................................ :D

Replies

• Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
    32.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A walk on the beach at Lower Largo followed by fish and chips at the Crusoe Hotel, nothing beats it icon7.gif
  • A walk on the beach at Lower Largo followed by fish and chips at the Crusoe Hotel, nothing beats it icon7.gif

You should try the fish and chips at anstruther after a walk on the beach at St Andrews.
    Sometimes I feel I'd be better off dead, no, not me, U...... :eek:................................ :D
  • MacnabMacnab Forumite
    314 Posts
    what about the secret bunker?
  • I think you should try Falkland a lovley wee place and if your up to it go up Falkland hill it is awsome.
    I agree with the walk and fish and chips at Anstruther and I think you should have a look at Kinghorn beach.
    As for the secret bunker its a secret so dont know what your on about.
    SCMS1969:p [COLOR] :p
  • rosyrosy Forumite
    642 Posts
    Obviously it depends what you like doing and whether it's adults/children etc, but here are a few ideas ( things I do regularly that don't cost a lot ):

Walks: Any bit of the Coastal path is brilliant for a walk, especially the bits from Leven and on to the East. For something different, how about walking across the Forth Road Bridge? (There is a footpath - you are not on the road with the cars!!!) Scoonie Glen in Leven, then on to Silverburn. Dysart harbour, after a walk round Ravenscaig Park in Kirkcaldy. Falkland I would agree with. See the Palace ( National Trust so costs to get in but it is very interesting), go to Falkland Estate for a walk and you can have lunch at the Pillars of Hercules ( small organic farm shop/tearoom, excellent coffee and cakes, soup etc and though not dirt cheap it is very good value). For Fife walks I would really recommend the book "25 Walks in Fife" by Hamish Brown, clear instructions ( we have got lost a couple of times where paths have been overgrown etc but on the whole easy to follow) and lots of wee snippets of interesting information. I think there is also a similar one for cycling but having walked a lot and cycled not at all I don't feel expert enough to comment!

Non-walking cheap things: Kirkcaldy Museum & Art gallery ( just beside the train station) well worth a look - some excellent paintings by the Scottish colourists and Jack Vettriano original paintings too. Often extra exhibitions on, and again, a nice wee cafe in the museum ( and interesting toilets! ) - and free entry. Adam Smith theatre has some good entertainment (films and shows/plays) and a few breakfast movies ( eat the cooked breakfast then go in to see the film) - reasonable price. On the theatre side and just a bit outside Fife is Dundee Rep which has excellent performances, haven't been to one of theirs yet which I haven't enjoyed and it's not as expensive for tickets as you might expect for a city theatre.

Depends how long you are staying but you can get a weekly bus ticket which will take you all over Fife ( £17 the last time I got one which was recently, but may have been price rise between then and now). Excellent value if you want to travel a fair bit in the week, you can use any bus in Fife at any time ( you can buy it on the first bus you get on ).
  • rosy wrote:
    Walks: Any bit of the Coastal path is brilliant for a walk

Kirkcaldy Museum & Art gallery ( just beside the train station) well worth a look - some excellent paintings by the Scottish colourists and Jack Vettriano original paintings too. Often extra exhibitions on, and again, a nice wee cafe in the museum ( and interesting toilets! ) - and free entry.

Adam Smith theatre has some good entertainment (films and shows/plays) and a few breakfast movies ( eat the cooked breakfast then go in to see the film) - reasonable price.

Thanx for the tips... I'll try a few. Does anyone know where to get a map of the coastal path, by the way?
  • Macnab wrote:
    what about the secret bunker?

Were is the secret bunker?????
  • rosyrosy Forumite
    642 Posts
    FGZstar wrote:
    Thanx for the tips... I'll try a few. Does anyone know where to get a map of the coastal path, by the way?

Try the tourist office, or there are some phone numbers here

http://www.fifedirect.org.uk/atoz/index.cfmfuseaction=service.display&objectid=9523E719-87AC-4C7D-BCD3F71F70219DD7
  • rosyrosy Forumite
    642 Posts
    FGZstar wrote:
    Were is the secret bunker?????

here http://www.secretbunker.co.uk/
  • DumyatDumyat Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    secret bunker is good...but wrap up warm. Its freezing even on a summers day.(obviously its underground :) )
    x x x
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides