Eye Need (Private Eye)

Options
That column at the back of Private Eye where people ask for money ("Broke and desperate - husband left me with debts of 30K"/"Need 20K to finish medical school, please help - Barclays S/C 20-00-00 A/C 1234567" and so on).

Are these successful - i.e. do people actually send money to these people? Are they genuine, or are some/most of them just scams? Does Private Eye check their authenticity, and if so, how?

Not that I'm planning to place one of these ads or to be a generous benefactor/mug, just idle curiosity about how - and whether - the whole thing works.

Comments

• Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately, there are some misguided individuals who give money to these scammers.

If it looks too good to be true then it most probably is.
  • XXXX
    XXXX Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting subjects to bring out. I am often curious about it too.

That board is almost like a desperation competition, but are the most desperate advertiser winning? Seems to be no way to find out. :confused:
    Vodafone sucks. :mad:
  • JayZed
    JayZed Posts: 731 Forumite
    Options
    I'm tempted to send in the following ad: "Not broke, not desperate, reasonably comfortable but would like more money. Please help." Do you think I'd get any responses?
  • GingerSte
    GingerSte Posts: 2,486 Forumite
    Options
    JayZed wrote: »
    I'm tempted to send in the following ad: "Not broke, not desperate, reasonably comfortable but would like more money. Please help." Do you think I'd get any responses?

You could even go one better.

Need money for strippers and beer. Please send to...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure