recyling

Options
I know there is a massive industry now in recycling.

My question is... is there any money to be made in this from an individual perspective.

Basically I save up my cans/ paper etc, then put them in the recycling bins in the hope that the truck that picks them up recycles them and doesn't take them to the landfills.

What if I Saved up my aluminium / steel cans separately, then take them in quantity to a scrap merchant and sell them.

I work in law enforcement, and know that some criminals earn there living by breaking into properties and removing wires / piping / lead from roofs and basically take anything metal they can get there hands on... to sell to scrap merchants

I then go home and see all this metal slip through my fingers.

Surly environmentally and economically, I can drop off a few bags of cans and or paper to an appropriate merchants (many I know on my way to work) and help the environment and make some money.

Does anyone know why this wouldn’t work. I.e. are the quantities too small, will they not accept cans etc.

Also what do people think of the idea.

Comments

• Anglea
    Anglea Posts: 7,204 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a friend in America that does this and get's a little money, but no idea if it works over here. I know that charities sometimes ask for aluminium as well as stamps but I have got the impression that you need to have massive amounts for a small reimbursement.. Hope someone else can help.
  • ryandj
    ryandj Posts: 523 Forumite
    Options
    this is a charity site cash for cans

http://thinkcans.net/cash-for-cans
  • trader_girl
    Options
    Obi 167 I asked the same question about 3 weeks age and have not reieved any firm answers.
    info rev'd: scrap is about £350 per ton
    Ring around scrap yards. good idea
    someone takes in 2 bin bags of squashed tins and gets about £14 for them
    HTH
    Its not how far you fall but how high you bounce back that matters
  • Obi167
    Obi167 Posts: 290 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the tips
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories