The Great "Price Beater Policy" Hunt

Comments

• To brightonman 123, you said...

do i have actually have to buy at shop 'a', then find it cheaper at shop 'b'..?

would like to just point out the cheaper place, and claim th difference!!

...Not in my experience. Just show proof, either a print out from an online source or if you find it cheaper in a catalogue. It's worth looking at all companies policies, that's certainly what I will be doing from now on.

Can't wait till I've go the nerve to do like 'ms piggy' (above) and pull one over the car salesman!!!

Daz
  • morganb
    morganb Posts: 1,762 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    For electrical goods try :

www.kitchenscience.co.uk

Each product description has a link where you can send them an email if you've seen it cheaper.

We've recently taken them up on their challenge and they happily beat the price advertised by Pixmania.

I think the price they beat is the combined product price + delivery of the competitor.
    That's Numberwang!
  • I've noticed that PC World and Currys (same company) don't shelf price an item if it is on offer at their store next door. For example, looking for a wireless mouse recently it was on offer at Currys for £25. Next door at PC World it was not priced so asked for the item to be scanned for a price - £35! They had to price match less 10%.
    It seems Comets may not shelf price items either in which case this means it is cheaper elsewhere. I've also found that for low value items, a checkout assistant will willingly press a discount button on the till if asked nicely.
    Silly point here though. If a company will only price match why bother with all the hassle? Why not go to the cheapest to start with? Don't price match PRICE BEAT.
  • Hi guys, long time reader 1st time poster! go easy on me.

PC World say they will price match Amazon, now my question is will they price match the "sellers" on Amazon that are selling the item brand new?

sorry if this is a silly question!!

mister mo
  • Mistermo, think you'll find they will match Amazon but not Amazon Marketplace sellers. Hope that explains it.
  • Ive found a great price on a toshiba 1080p tv

They have great deals on this site, howconvenient.co.uk

Cheers Josh :)
  • I had aa AEG Washer Dryer off John Lewis which went wrong just within the 2 year warranty period - after a repair under warranty that didn't work John Lewis replaced the machine a total of three times (they all had the same problem with the drum). Finally we gave up and they sold me a Miele (a not insignificant £1000 worth), deducting the £500 original purchase price of the first machine I had plus another £100 for the inconvenience. This machine has a free 5 year warranty and works like a dream.

There was never any question that it was my fault, or I was stupid and must be doing something wrong, just fantastic customer service.

So for faultless after sales I couldn't recommend anyone else better (I couldn't imagine another high street retailer doing the same, could you?).
    So well done John Lewis :T
  • B&Q

Match the lower price of another retailer within 10 miles of the store, Plus reduce it by a further 10% off the lower price (not the difference).

Best bit is they will match identical own branded products i.e match Argos' Challenge brand, against their Performance Power brand.

Also valid before purchase, or up to 14 days after pruchase.

Plus it states "If for whatever reason you see the same product cheaper in another B&Q store, they will match the lower price"
    This is good as B&Q have 2 forms of reductions - 'Head Office', and 'Store Managers'.
    I recently got a price match in the Southampton store, for a product which was sold cheaper in the Northampton Store. (lower price indentified through an online forum).

Note: being an ex-employee of B&Q, it has been know that should a retailer i.e Argos do a special promotion on a product that B&Q don't want stores to price-match, they will order stores to take the products off the shelves until the promotion is over.
  • iNath
    iNath Posts: 382 Forumite
    Plus it states "If for whatever reason you see the same product cheaper in another B&Q store, they will match the lower price"
    This is good as B&Q have 2 forms of reductions - 'Head Office', and 'Store Managers'.
    I recently got a price match in the Southampton store, for a product which was sold cheaper in the Northampton Store. (lower price indentified through an online forum).
    Please could you show me where it says that as it is simply not true. Most of the time a product is the same price in every store (although there are some slight variations between warehouses and small supercentres). I work at the store nearest Northampton and the only time there were cheaper than us was a 10% weekend after they had completed their refresh. We did price match this at customers request after instruction from our regional manager. Apart from this there is only store-specific markdowns that we would not match.
    Note: being an ex-employee of B&Q, it has been know that should a retailer i.e Argos do a special promotion on a product that B&Q don't want stores to price-match, they will order stores to take the products off the shelves until the promotion is over.
    I've been an employee for over 2 and half years and I have never known this to happen. We have never been ordered to take products off the shelves by head office unless they have been recalled due to safety reasons.
  • saintscouple
    saintscouple Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    iNath wrote: »
    Please could you show me where it says that as it is simply not true. Most of the time a product is the same price in every store (although there are some slight variations between warehouses and small supercentres). I work at the store nearest Northampton and the only time there were cheaper than us was a 10% weekend after they had completed their refresh. We did price match this at customers request after instruction from our regional manager. Apart from this there is only store-specific markdowns that we would not match.

This is what i hate about B&Q - No offense to you, but below is the policy, for which you're saying you have no knowledge of - They seem to be good at advertising the policy to the public, but then when we go in to stores, staff like yourselves know nothing about it :mad:

8yi90o.jpg
    iNath wrote: »
    I've been an employee for over 2 and half years and I have never known this to happen. We have never been ordered to take products off the shelves by head office unless they have been recalled due to safety reasons.

Maybe times have changed since i left then, but this was certainly the practice when i was instore, and then moved in to head office.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure