What to do with £7000 lump sum?

Options
In 2006, I started a 2-year fixed rate (8%) monthly savings account with Lloyds TSB, paying in £250/month. This is due to end in October, by which point with the interest I should have approx. £7000. (For those doing the sums, you could open the account with up to £500 before the monthy payments began.) Since opening the account I have bought a house (FTB), purchase price £105,000, deposit £40,000, mortgage £65,000 discounted at 0.07% below the base rate for two years. Current monthly repayments are £381. The mortgage deal runs out in Feb 2010.

The question is what to do with the £7000?

The house I bought is currently in the process of modernisation but my monthly salary is covering the costs so far, although a new kitchen would put paid to that. I am a basic rate tax payer and have used my cash ISA allowance for this year. I am allowed to overpay the mortgage by up to £500/month, anything over that will incur a 1% penalty. Should I pay a lump sum off the mortgage and take the 1% penalty hit? Invest it in a high rate (7%+) one year bond then use it as a deposit when changing my mortgage deal thus not incurring the penalty? Shuffle it off into my Icesave account (6.3%) for easier access and to pay for work on the house?

Comments

• StillTwenteen
    Options
    Go on the DFW forum and give it to me :-) Would only owe £14 then :-)
    £1500 Saving Challenge!

Started 12th May

Total £0.00 (12th May!)
  • Ali660
    Ali660 Posts: 185 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there,

Just wanted to suggest moving this question over to the Savings board ... you may get more response. I would certainly be interested in any advice given as we are in the same position!

:wink:
  • devilment
    Options
    OK, so how does one go about getting a thread moved to another forum?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure