PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Which is best for making chicken soup?

Options
I am still finding so much inspiration on this forum, thanks everyone. I have noticed that quite a few posters are using the carcass of their roast chicken to make soup afterwards, and I was wondering if the result is as tasty as if a chicken portion was used?
The more I see of men, the more I love dogs - Madame de Sevigne

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I make chicken stock/soup in two ways:

Firstly, I cook the chicken by boiling rather than roasting. I boil it for an hour with an onion, leek, carrot, some celery, parsley stalks, bayleaf & peppercorns

Secondly, when I've finished with the chicken meat, I boil the bones with the same veg/herbs for two hours. If I'm making soup straight away, I'll then add any leftover meat, but the flesh doesn't benefit from being boiled as the flavour all comes out into the stock.

The flavour of both is good (and the boiled chicken is fantastically moist, just doesn't have the crispy skin), although the one made with bones tends to be more intense. You do have to make sure though that you don't put too much water in, as this (together with the quality of the chicken) is what influences the flavour. Roasted bones will give a darker stock than raw/boiled ones.

I also buy and freeze chicken wings when they're going cheap (or bones from the butcher), to add to the stock, as they add more flavour.
  • BilberryCharlotte
    Options
    Thanks greenbee, I have boiled chickens in the past, especially when I wanted to make coronation chicken, and I agree that the meat is lovely and moist.

A good idea about the chicken wings too. At one time I would just have boiled stuff up to try without a second thought, but with the rise in fuel prices lately, even someone as slapdash as me is trying to do better.

We do love homemade soup, and I am hoping to make up some individual portions that can be frozen and reheated as needed (for daughters lunch etc.)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I freeze this in 1pt portions - I use my extensive collection of old Rachel's Dairy yogurt pots (the thick plastic ones that are dishwasher & freezer proof), and it's fantastically useful for loads of things e.g. risotto, other soups, stews or just when you're feeling a bit under the weather!
  • BilberryCharlotte
    Options
    We love Rachels yoghurt, and I feel pretty sure it used to say on the side of the tub that the tub could be used for the freezer etc, but it doesn`t seem to have it now, so I wondered if they had changed the tubs in some way. If it works for you that is good enough for me!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport