New Post Advanced Search

This can't be right?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Techie Stuff
19 replies 1.2K views
jiblets1jiblets1 Forumite
1.2K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Techie Stuff
Hi all
My parents took their laptop in to the local computer place to have a service to speed it up recently. It seems to me that all they did was remove the documents, reset the computer to it's factory settings so EVERY programme has gone and put the documents back on again. They charged them £40 for the privilige.

My parents are now frantically trying to find all the discs of the programmes they've lost, I'm going to have to set up their outlook express email account again, and worst of all their wireless printing setup has now gone. I don't know how to set this up (via the router thingy) myself, and when they rang the company they were infromed that they would happily set it back up for them, but it would cost them a further £25.

I can't believe a company would remove all someone's programmes without warning them that this would happen. Does anyone have any advice? And how do I set up a router?

Argh!
Am not witty enough to put something cool and informative here:o :o

Replies

• dcag36dcag36 Forumite
    6 posts
    This is bang out of order anyone with a brain would have contacted you and said we have to do this and that to it and you may lose your documents programs etc or like i do when i fix computers back it up muppets
  • jiblets1jiblets1 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Thanks, I'm a little confused as to what that backup link does. Does it create a disc for you that you can use to put all your programmes back on?
    1.2K posts
    Excellent, I guess I'll do that for my own computer.
  • epz_2epz_2 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    £40 is about an hours work when you factor in wages,taxes and business overheads.

its unrealistic to expect anyone to be able to do more than reset an os in that time. windows can get so broken that a reinstall is the only option, when i get pressured into fixing someones pc i only give them the option of a format or nothing, it is way to much hassle otherwise.
  • timbim_2timbim_2 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Defo unprofessional. They should have given warning! Don't go back there!
    Ubuntu is an ancient African word, meaning: 'I can't configure Debian'.
  • jiblets1 wrote: »
    Hi all
    My parents took their laptop in to the local computer place to have a service to speed it up recently. It seems to me that all they did was remove the documents, reset the computer to it's factory settings so EVERY programme has gone and put the documents back on again. They charged them £40 for the privilige.

My parents are now frantically trying to find all the discs of the programmes they've lost, I'm going to have to set up their outlook express email account again, and worst of all their wireless printing setup has now gone. I don't know how to set this up (via the router thingy) myself, and when they rang the company they were infromed that they would happily set it back up for them, but it would cost them a further £25.

I can't believe a company would remove all someone's programmes without warning them that this would happen. Does anyone have any advice? And how do I set up a router?

Argh!

Which programmes are missing? Do they have Antivirus and Firewall software installed?
    1.2K posts
    Everything that didn't come on the computer is gone, office, camera software, printer software....

They use avast free antivirus and they have windows own firewall I think.
    1.2K posts
    ps I've sorted the wireless printer now, I found it on this forum.... ;)
  • Make a list.... I may have the necessary discs.
  • Marty_JMarty_J Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Take it back to the shop and ask what they're going to do about the mess they've made.

It also might help if you named this company, so others are warned about them.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support