accountant makes 2nd fees error!

Options
mutley74
mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
My LTD Co accountant had made there 2nd error in claimig their accountancy fees for last tax year from me.

They usually take there fees monthly via direct debit. However in their first error they failed to collect any money from me for several months. Then after they contacted me they took a lump sum to cover back payments.

Now they have contacted me and still say i owe them a further £250 for last tax year! I am suprised they failed to collect or highlight this more than a year late! I have asked them for written proof and details of all my payments for last tax year.

Any advice on what i can do?? Do you think if they are correct in failing to collect their fees from me 2nd time round to ask for a discount in the amount they wish to collect?? I was think if they say accept £150 to settle the matter??

Comments

• mutley74
    Options
    mutley74 wrote: »
    My LTD Co accountant had made there 2nd error in claimig their accountancy fees for last tax year from me.

They usually take there fees monthly via direct debit. However in their first error they failed to collect any money from me for several months. Then after they contacted me they took a lump sum to cover back payments.

Now they have contacted me and still say i owe them a further £250 for last tax year! I am suprised they failed to collect or highlight this more than a year late! I have asked them for written proof and details of all my payments for last tax year.

Any advice on what i can do?? Do you think if they are correct in failing to collect their fees from me 2nd time round to ask for a discount in the amount they wish to collect?? I was think if they say accept £150 to settle the matter??

bump ..any advice welcome please
  • Cook_County
    Cook_County Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    1. What does the engagement letter say?
    and

2. Which professional bodies is your accountant a member of?
  • mutley74
    Options
    1. What does the engagement letter say?
    and

2. Which professional bodies is your accountant a member of?

1. need to check
    2. Institute of Accountants
  • brightonman123
    Options
    need to get a new accountant, too!
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • Cook_County
    Options
    There is no such professional body in the UK as the "Institute of Accountants". What initials do they have after their names?
  • mutley74
    Options
    There is no such professional body in the UK as the "Institute of Accountants". What initials do they have after their names?

oops i meant the Inst of Charted Accountants.
    Told them i need the official route to log my reply which may be a complaint....i mean 2nd error for same reason does not give me an more confidence in their service now.
  • Cook_County
    Options
    Do you mean the Institute of Chartered Certified Accountants, Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales, Institute of Chartered Accountants in Scotland or a different Institute? There are over a dozen bodies in the UK but to advise on the correct disciplinary process you need to say which one you will be complaining to!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would also query whether anyone should trust accountants whose own accounts are in such disarray that they can't even manage to audit their own fee collection system. However for the question being asked I would suggest not paying anything until the info asked for has been provided and checked and possibly a reduction negotiated.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mutley74
    Options
    Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales...
    apologies for not quoting which part ..di not realise theres so many of them!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure